View Single Post
Old 14-08-2023, 08:16   #22
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Using a SIM instead of standard broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacking View Post
Yes I've gone through each provider on cellmapper. They all have towers nearby but the cells on the map don't fall over us, except for Three. Looking at these towers, I think our router is in the best window already for Three.
If Three really is the best local network, there are things you can do to improve reception. You can add an external antenna to your router if it supports one (is there a pair of small copper terminals on the back?). This can make a dramatic difference to your speeds if you buy the right antenna and place it carefully.

Before that however, if you can. I’d try your voda SIM in it just to see what happens. And after that you should spend a couple of days doing regular speed tests to see if your speed is constrained by time of day due to local congestion. This will help give you a baseline of performance to improve against.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote