View Single Post
Old 12-05-2023, 17:16   #20
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Are the railways being quietly renationalised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Thatcher didn't want to. It was her successor John Major who pushed it through and it's evolved from there.

Few would disagree with selling off the cafes, hotels, ferries, train manufacturing and perhaps the freight operators too.

Selling off the network infrastructure itself was clearly wrong.

The passenger train operators have been a very mixed bag ranging from the very good at GNER and Chiltern through to the appalling at Connex and Trans Pennine Express.
I would disagree about selling of the hotels. The Midland in Manchester, the Adelphi in Liverpool, the Queen's in Leeds plus a few more I stayed in back then were top notch - which they aren't now imo.

Of course my remarks are predicated on the railways never having been privatised, which they weren't (not privatised).

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote