View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 11:21   #5000
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I see all the Remainers piling in on OB. Not one of them has said that the opportunity raised by every trade deal now lies in the hands of British business.

Badenoch sent me an email which sort of makes my point:

Quote:
After 21 months of negotiations, we have just signed our biggest trade deal since leaving the EU – becoming the first European country to join the most dynamic trading bloc in the world, now worth £11 trillion.

With 500 million people, tariff free trade with CPTPP countries will boost our economy by billions, support thousands of new British jobs, and drive economic growth in all corners of our United Kingdom.

From beverage producers in Scotland, to machinery manufacturers in Wales and car manufacturers in Northern Ireland, businesses across the country will benefit from free trade with 11 dynamic countries expected to make up the majority of global growth in the future.

Despite the naysayers, we are delivering on the benefits of Brexit. Labour and their social media supporters will try and talk this deal down and claim it isn’t of real benefit.

This is their usual declinism. Only the Conservatives have confidence in the UK and understand what the vision of a global modern Britain would mean. We will create new opportunities for British business.

Seph, she may have been economical with the actualité with regards to "car manufacturers in Northern Ireland"...

There appears to be only one (Crossle Car Company) which made Formula Ford and Formula 2 track cars (at it's peak in the 70s, it made 100 that year). I say "appears", as the company was taken over in 2012, and on it's web home page it states

Quote:
Welcome to the home of The Crosslé Car Company
Established in 1957, Crosslé is the world’s longest-established constructors of racing cars. Uniquely we continue to build cars, and support their ongoing success worldwide, from our original factory in Holywood, Northern Ireland.

From November 2012 this site will be updated to more effectively engage Crosslé customers old and new. Comments and suggestions are welcome, and you can contact us at the factory.
There have been no updates after this post/date, but looking on their Facebook page (there are one or two updates per year), it appears to be mainly focused on maintaining/refurbishing previous track cars they manufactured in the past.

https://www.facebook.com/people/The-...0063552693792/

Other than that, not much car manufacturing happen in Norn Iron...

(and it costs between £2 billion and £10 billion to set up a new (large scale) car manufacturing plant - I can't see HMG funding that...)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote