View Single Post
Old 12-03-2023, 15:15   #148
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: The Smart Meter Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I have a dumb meter for gas, and still paying the unit price from 2021 so still very cheap for me. I don't get why people want a smart meter, it'll be something that you will keep checking and worrying about where I'm happy to just pay what I use. That and they can change the charges when they want can't be a good thing.

Edit...

'Smart meters to save UK households only £11 a year, report finds' - Various sources...

So £11 for the stress of watching a meter, trying to turn off things that you won't usually bother in hope of saving less than a quid a month... Not for me.
Well you on an expired tariff so yeah you paying obsolete cheaper prices now, you in for a shock when the tariff runs out though, although looks like you have ridden through the worst of it as its forecasted for prices to drop in July. (although will still be at least 2x 2021 pricing).

The thing you mentioned about constantly watching your usage would be the in home display device, mine is powered off. However I dont think its a bad thing if a smart meter and/or the IHD can help identify a energy guzzling device in the home.

It is a free country and I think choice is king, but I dont think smart meters are some kind of trick to con people. The obvious benefits and motivations for a supplier to want people to have smart meters is we can be done away with estimated readings, so many people have bills based on estimated not actual usage.

I also think time of use tariffs are the future. Let people benefit from cheap off peak energy. Its a shame only Octopus is modernising and the rest of the industry is stuck in old ways.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote