View Single Post
Old 23-02-2023, 15:34   #11177
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Don't see in it number of channels, as the primary "broadcast" method of these companies are their streaming services now, but see it in how big of a share of the sports market would the combination have, especially on specific sports like football.

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Any Sky/WBD merger, would in itself only be a stepping stone until one of the Big Tech gobbles them up, in the same way that its believed that Apple will bid for Disney in the next two years.
I’m not as convinced as you that the studios are all simply big tech wormfood… I think we’d already be in that arms race if that was the case and given the pain Amazon went through for a terrible asset like MGM, I’m not yet convinced big tech really wants the bother of running a legacy studio business if they can build something bespoke and play for talent and licensing themselves.

Apple and Disney feel like a natural fit but even then I don’t seem convinced they’d have the enthusiasm to blow 150 Billion on it and deal with legacy assets and theme parks.

More inclined to think we may see the current 5 turn into 3 or 4 much like the record industry now stands.

Let’s come back here in a few years and see right or wrong we were haha!

Last edited by Phunkenstein; 23-02-2023 at 15:41.
Phunkenstein is online now   Reply With Quote