View Single Post
Old 16-02-2023, 13:39   #2028
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Most suppliers require you to manually claim for power generated on a quarterly basis - even if you have a SMETS2 standard smart meter which is entirely capable of automatically reporting export KWh to the supplier, at the same time as it reports import kWh (import being the electricity you’re actually buying from the grid to run your home).

Octopus is one of the few - perhaps the only - supplier that offers a tariff which will read both import and export values from your meter and pay you for the export amount, effectively buying it from you.

I could possibly get readings in to Scottish Power for what we generated over the past 8 months; it is more than 600kWh which at the rate Octopus pays would be worth around £90. However, I don’t have a starting reading for the meter so I can’t say precisely how much of that is actually ours (I’m guessing probably about 75% of it is, but can’t be sure). Also my panels aren’t registered with Scottish Power and their customer service is truly, truly awful to deal with.

Sadly I’m inclined to put it down to experience (the experience being never ever deal with Scottish Power ever again). As soon as my Octopus account is live I’ll arrange it with them and have done with it.
I know what you mean, sometimes life is too short to bother with these things (and I'm sure they know this). It's a shame that you stand to lose approximately £67.50 though if you owed them £67.50 you can be sure they'd be chasing you for it!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote