Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 17-01-2023, 10:45   #2389
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Also, "is there a better way of funding/delivering healthcare free of charge at the point of need".

I don’t mean the farrago of nonsense that is the US Healthcare profit monster, I mean something like the French, German, or Australian models - we need to go back to basics and redesign the system and processes to ensure adequate funding and services.
Yeah, it needs to be both. The NHS might well need reform and we can look to France or Germany as a reference point but if we're spending 20% less than France then we're not going to get their levels of care.

I would also want to see what would actually be gained from a European model. One advantage of our system is the simplicity of the service for a patient. There is no topping up of your medical insurance, no Carte Vitale to scan, and no paying your GP and then getting it reimbursed. The French system seems to have multiple options for insurance from the state or your workplace as well which seems confusing.

The main advantage seems to be all the other ways you end up paying for it from personal top-ups to workplaces explicitly paying for health insurance means it's politically easier to funnel more money into the system than when it comes out of general taxation.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote