View Single Post
Old 15-12-2022, 10:06   #608
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So, like we have said all along, linear channels will still exist, alongside other methods of delivery.

It's good to know that you are willing to change your mind from what you posted in August 2017...

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...s#post35913670

Glad we are all in agreement.
Another silly misinterpretation. You, I think, are now referring to FAST channels, not the channels in our existing EPGs. I maintain that if we do go IP only, there will be no need to have these separate channels and that all content will be grouped under the name of the provider and they will be on demand (with live events streamed).

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Your own contortions are the only “twist” here. Live sport doesn’t have to be broadcast on a linear channel at all, it can be a pop up stream within an app.

However what a linear channel offers is convenience. That’s why people consistently use them.
You are the one contorting. I agree that sport can be a pop-up stream within an app. I’m not sure why you thought I was saying it wasn’t the case.

Quote:

Can you provide a link for the 99% claim? I have had a look and can only find “nationwide”. Forgive me for being pedantic but that doesn’t mean every premise, or even 99% of them. A percentage in every local authority, every constituency, etc. could meet the qualification while being below 99%.

Given the squeezes on the commercial sector with borrowing getting more expensive, and squeeze on public finances for those who buy into that, where is the investment going to come from? It’s not unreasonable to be sceptical given the scale of the task.

Add into that the take up of such services among an ever squeezed public at large.
For someone who claims I am pulling everything out of thin air and not doing my research, that is an extraordinary claim.

I will humour you this time.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-8392/

Read and inwardly digest.

Government targets
The Government’s manifesto commitment was to deliver nationwide gigabit-broadband by 2025. That target was revised in November 2020 to a minimum of 85% of premises by 2025.

The Levelling Up White Paper published in February 2022 set a new target: for gigabit-broadband to be available nationwide by 2030. Nationwide coverage means “at least 99%” of premises.

The Government says it remains committed to meet 85% of premises by 2025. The ‘nationwide-by-2030’ target therefore puts a timeline for connecting the remaining 15% of premises, which will mostly require public funding support.

The 2030 target is considered more realistic by industry stakeholders but the delay from 2025 has been described as a “blow to rural communities”. The Government says the revised targets reflect how quickly industry could build in hard to reach areas requiring public funding alongside their commercial roll-out.

The Public Accounts Committee said in January 2022 that it was “not convinced” that the Government was on track to meet its targets and that its approach to gigabit-broadband roll-out “risks perpetuating digital inequality across the UK”.

Quote:

An entirely speculative post cannot be based upon “knowns”.

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

Quote:

Some time after 2035 and a considerable time beyond 2025 , claiming linear over the internet as a win is quite a stretch, OB. I say that as an avid follower of your claims for 8 years now. (If of course even that happens).
Stop playing games. The date I am committed to is 2035, based on the facts not changing. If I am one or two years adrift, fine - who cares? The thrust of my argument would have been correct.

More correct than all those siren voices who have been telling me over the years that it would never happen at all.

---------- Post added at 10:06 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
<>cough cough>

<cough cough>
Have you got Covid, Hugh? Stay indoors, keep warm, there’s a good chap.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 15-12-2022 at 10:01.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote