View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 12:19   #3375
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Well we should probably let Putin have that one, he’s had precious little else to celebrate, what with his entire army slowly being ground to dust in Ukraine.

Precedent is an important part of the way this country operates. It creates genuine pressure against reckless or overweening use of power by those who hold it. It’s the reason why there was never any hope of Boris surviving this, despite his obvious personal disdain for it. The entire system runs on it and eventually the pressure was always going to be too great even for him to resist.

It is therefore wise not to upend precedent for short-term convenience. Insisting Boris go now, and installing a ‘caretaker’ for a mere 6-8 weeks, would be a piece of political theatre which in the short term might demonstrate just how really, really cross we all are with him, but in the longer term will chip away at the whole idea of the office being occupied by someone who demonstrably has the confidence of the House of Commons, which is normally evidenced by the largest party having held a leadership election.
Just to be clear, I don’t think he should go immediately.

I’m just concerned that if he hangs on until Party Conference in 12 weeks time, something might happen (or be arranged to happen) which he will use as an excuse not to go.

As one of his ex-mistresses (Petronella Wyatt) stated in the Times today

Quote:
Then I began to wonder if Boris was fibbing to us again. Did he intend to go at all? Why, for instance, was he so determined to stay until October, surrounded by the very people he hates and despises, in short, his own assassins, if he didn’t think something would “turn up”? For all the years I have known him, Boris’s philosophy is “turning upism”..

Until now, it has worked a treat.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...51709ac2043bf6
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.