View Single Post
Old 24-06-2022, 21:42   #98
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: U.S Supreme Court overturns (Roe v Wade) legalised abortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Like all things, the debate is nuanced. Extremes to either side of the debate are unpalatable.

But the debate needs to be had and a consensus needs to be reached.

That is a democratic and reasonable societal path to take.

If we cannot do that, in this or other matters, then Western democracy is screwed.
I don't want to keep going on about and beating a dead horse but I think what was the law: that women can choose what they do with their bodies with regard to pregnancy was correct. There isn't really an extreme position there. Like the U.K there was a limit at the point the fetus is considered 'viable', you could maybe debate a few weeks here and there but that isn't central to the issue.

Beyond that, I don't think there should be a debate on someone's rights. You can be against abortion no problem but it's not a belief you should impose on others. I understand that if someone believes that life begins at conception this is an extremely hard thing, you're talking about ending a life, but again I come back to the same argument that you can't force a woman to carry a fetus to term. Although I accept that taking that argument to the extreme means you could have an abortion just before birth.

I am pretty tired and this argument is a bit all over the place. There is also a lot of debate that could be had about the nature of the American democratic system. But for now, it's just a very sad day.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote