View Single Post
Old 26-04-2022, 20:36   #1467
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

The new owner of Twitter says he intends to relax moderation of the site, leading to fears of abusive comments & misinformation (BBC News).

This could cause problems for UK users after the online safety bill becomes law. He hasn't made any reference to this, so I don't think it's due to an intention to directly challenge it, but nevertheless, it will be interesting to see what happens.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Whos "common sense" ? Yours ? Mine ? Vladimir Putins ?
There is no such thing as 'common' sense, because peoples views are not 'common'.

A law that is impossible to achive is unenforcable.
You have not answered the question, hows does anyone remove something they dont know about ?
I take common sense to mean a view that any reasonable person of average intelligence would take. Using my earlier examples, I doubt that there are many sites that would tolerate harrassment, bullying etc of minority groups or user generated content that encourages suicide.

The police once visited a bar owner to speak to him about allegations of drug selling/taking on the premises. His response was that he didn't have eyes in the back of his head and that he couldn't be expected to be everywhere at once. "Yes, you are if you have a licence to sell alcohol" was the response from the police".

I expect a similar response from the Government.

A number of sites are already preparing themselves to ensure compliance by retraining moderators/management of sites & reviewing their rules, acceptable use policies etc to try and prevent any issues occurring in the first place.

My personal opinion isn't really relevant though and I would advise site owners and anyone involved in managing them to contact their new regulator if there's anything that they aren't sure about as the penalties for non compliance can be severe (and sanctions can be imposed on individuals as opposed to the companies/owners themselves).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote