View Single Post
Old 04-03-2022, 20:39   #25
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: BBC licence fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
No! Best out of the hands of the government(Tory or Labour) and not run by the media in general. it should be a PBS that's completely free from political interference by government and what passes for a free press owned and run by whomever has the cash to but them outright.I pay the subscription expecting to get a completely independent service especially the news service.
Exactly. There is a proposal to fund news etc from a Government grant and the entertainment etc from a subscription.

The BBC could not remain independent if news is funded by a Government grant. If they covered something the Government didn't like or something embarrassing, they could so easily be threatened with a funding cut.

I accept that this can and appears to have been done with the TVL though.

I think it would be better levying a media tax as a precept to the Council Tax. Almost everyone benefits from the BBC in some way. Despite it's faults, it really came into it's own when the pandemic started and they have recently started doing emergency broadcasts to Ukrania as Putin trys to stop the correct information from getting out to the people there by bombing TV masts and trying to knock out the internet.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote