Thread: UK Timeline BBC Three launch week
View Single Post
Old 20-01-2022, 11:56   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: BBC Three launch week

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Make people put money where their mouth is then. If the BBC is so fantastic and offers great value for money then make it a paid for subscription service and let the people who want to watch it pay for it.

I think it is crap and always have done. I would sign up for one month a year for Wimbledon and that is it.
A calculation I saw this week suggested that the BBC would have to attract 24 million subs to continue in anything like its current form, and that as well as being an impossible commercial feat would also be inequitable due to it running services that you can’t paywall (mainly radio). Clearly there are opportunities for it to sell niche content in that way, same as many other providers do, but it’s mass-audience public service offering, not so much.

I’ve said this a gazillion times before - no government can force a private business to choose its business model, certainly not one that manifestly can’t work. Whatever the long term funding settlement looks like, it won’t involve putting the main TV and radio stations behind a paywall.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote