View Single Post
Old 30-10-2021, 16:32   #148
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Catholic Church admits Bible is BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Not denying that I am just pointing out whichever way you go it is still all faith
I’m not sure I like your definition of faith though.

You prefer to characterise it as uncertainty, unreliability and plain old human invention. Scientists don’t arrive at the laws of physics in such a cavalier way and I certainly didn’t arrive at my faith in God like that.

My faith in God began with a decision to trust that what is reported of Jesus in the Bible is true. I became his disciple and day by day I find his teaching to be trustworthy. Through this process faith grows and sustains my belief in those aspects of his teaching I cannot yet see with my own eyes. He has always been faithful to me, even when I have acted faithlessly towards him. So I receive forgiveness and renewed trust and expanded faith. And so the discipleship journey continues.

There is a certain, limited sense in which scientists are doing something similar (except without the forgiveness and relationship!), in that they have sound experimental reasons to trust the laws of physics they work with as they explore the universe. But as I said, this process is not as you have characterised it, and if it was so chaotic and borderline deceptive, then attempting to equate scientific enquiry with the growth of Christian faith would be a very poor line of argument indeed.