Thread: General Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
View Single Post
Old 21-06-2021, 16:59   #760
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Ignoring your big "if" statements, why would viewers not stay (and same applies to Sky)?

You're making the assumption that Sky or Virgin cannot deliver value and that only streamers can based on nothing at all. These bundles of streaming services end up more expensive than the vast majority are paying in triple play/quad play bundles with Sky or Virgin. Plus you ignore the fact that general entertainment doesn't draw in numbers the same way as exclusive live sports.

Viewers stayed with Virgin throughout the Sky basics dispute. There's nothing to indicate minority interest content is more damaging than that and not readily replaceable.
I'm not sure you are joining the dots. If the number of pay-tv channels reduced substantially due to the DTC trend, would you be prepared to pay the same as now for what was left?

The only way I can see of VM being able to compensate is to offer all the streamers and integrate them as much as possible to the VM system, allowing customers easier access to what they want to see.

So if, yes if, there was a substantial reduction of TV channels, in line with the new developing trend, what do you think would happen?

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
OB I wasn't addressing your post. I hadn't seen it. My post was so long and took so long to compose that your post didn't appear until after I pressed to post mine.
No worries, cheekyangus. Your points were perfectly valid.

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Looks like the Discovery channels are being removed from Now TV:

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Enter...el/td-p/561462

I wonder if Sky & VM will be losing them when the carriage contracts expire? Anybody know when this is?

It may just be that they want their channels off another streaming service competing for customers, but the long term plan is for Discovery to retain just one linear channel to showcase their online content. No idea if this includes their ad reliant FTA channels.
The loss of channels is accelerating, it seems. I believe I read that Discovery stated that they would still have a linear presence in the future. It will be interesting to see what form that takes. We could end up with simply a Discovery showcase channel.