View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 22:48   #87
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Meghan/Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Piers Morgan would not be a popular choice for FoxNews as he's seen as too anti-gun. He ticks the anti-woke box but not the pro-NRA one.

I very much doubt GBN has the resources to compete with the likes of the BBC on the news front. I think it will have to be more commentary-led.

There is also the forthcoming News UK streaming channel in the pipeline too which could be attractive for Piers Morgan. He would be returning to a past employer.
I read today that News UK will only be on YouTube for two hours a day, no idea if it's true or not.

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
A minor point of information ... Ofcom rules prevent any UK broadcaster from having a political stance. GBN won’t be right wing because that would be illegal. Piers Morgan might well love to see himself as a sort of British Tucker Carlson but if he wants that, he’s going to have to emigrate and try to get a job on Fox News. Which would be a great outcome for everyone come to think of it.

I think GBN is getting a reputation for being right wing, despite not having launched yet, because it’s being run by Andrew Neil. He certainly has an impressively right-of-centre CV when it comes to print media but let’s not forget he held down a series of influential positions within the BBC for many years so he knows how the broadcast news game is played in this country. He isn’t going to try to emulate Fox or anything close to it. Though the chief benefit to British TV news of Brillo operating in this space is that he doesn’t give metropolitan lefty opinion parrots the easy ride many of his former colleagues often seem to. They’re actually made to defend their positions when they come up against him rather than being allowed to assert their views as self-evident. If that’s what passes for right wing TV journalism then bring it on ...

I’m not convinced Piers Morgan would be a good hire for GBN anyway. I suspect the strategy is to be a serious news provider and a viable competitor to the BBC. Piers Morgan exists just to wind people up.
Apparently, during a BBC News interview with Reeta Chakrabarti, Andrew Neil said that he would be "delighted to speak to Piers Morgan about a new role with GB News".

When she asked him what role he would give him, he said he "wasn't going to use the medium of the BBC to conduct a job offer".
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote