View Single Post
Old 22-01-2021, 12:56   #184
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Britain outside the EU

Me thinks there is some posturing on all sides complaining/supporting the change and it's the smaller businesses that will get hit as they don't have the bandwidth the large companies do or the resources to weather the storm as well.

What is also getting problematic is VAT etc. I don't know what happened before but probably something like you buy from (say) Spain, pay Spanish taxes and postage and that's it. Now you should avoid Spanish tax (maybe) but pay UK taxes which since the Spanish company doesn't want to deal with (and why should they) you pay on receipt of goods.
Maybe what's needed is to buy from UK companies who should be able to trade normally and collect any relevant taxes at point of sale.
Maybe HMRC could increase point of taxation so more smaller purchases can pass through freely. Only tax at levels it's actually worth collecting and put exemptions for couriers so they can't gouge end point customers. Or at least make it easier for them so their costs aren't hugely increased.

I really am sure that something can be worked out but it needs to be quick and needs to put in allowances for smaller businesses and especially those trading in "fresh stuff".