Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 00:13   #765
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Well of course, if jfman disagrees it must be wrong/bad/whatever.

Maybe in your world everyone thinks there is nothing wrong with lockdowns and a police state enforcing them. In mine, not so much.

The response to this virus has been nothing short of hysterical, destroying the economy, businesses, jobs (and yes, lives).
How many people have died becasue of all of this ? - probably no one will ever know.

How many more will die becasue all anyone cares about is CV19.
For the record, I now know (directly or indirectly) of five people who have had it.
None went to hospital, all recovered, one simply tested positive, but never even felt ill.

I know 6 people who have lost their jobs, and several more back on furlough, with their jobs in jepody.
I'm only pointing out that the same voices who never agreed with lockdown in the first place are out there against all the evidence arguing against this one. I don't believe a police state is a good idea but if you peddle mistrust year on year in experts and politicians then you get the society that you get.

It may never be known how many people die of Covid-19 and more importantly we will never know how many would have died without intervention.

I've never disputed the economic cost of the pandemic however I've stated it is not just a consequence of lockdown - working from home, shielding, and reduced demand are part of this. However it is the role of Government to step up to the plate in this regard.

Government (any) has no intention of ever repaying the £2trn of debt we are in. The cost of servicing debt is at an all time low. There's an opportunity to work within these macroeconomic levers to support people, jobs, employers. Although it appears it's pointless if you spunk billions up the wall to Dido Harding's pals and consultancies who cannot develop a track and trace system.