View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 19:43   #7918
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That is of course a big if. You also can’t ask a question that’s fundamentally about economics and not expect an answer comprehensively grounded in it.

Others in the thread have questioned why one streaming company would offer a plethora of competing products, a legitimate question as it has the potential to remove economies of scale that have to date, in every major pay-tv market, made packages and bundles by far the most popular products in the marketplace.

Are you still paying for the top package Virgin offers? If so, with someone as enthusiastic about streaming as yourself clinging to traditional pay-tv offerings, it begs the question how and when the market gets shaken up.
Listen to yourself, jfman. Do you seriously believe tbat Sky offers better value than Netflix?

I don't see how your question about the top Virgin package is relevant. You know as well as I do that you can get programmes on the top package that you cannot currently get elsewhere. But that is changing, and we are close to a tippjng point.

I am in the fortunate position of being able to afford to support both systems, but this is very much a transitional period. If I had difficulty in balancing the household budget, then yes, I would ditch all the pay-tv channels.

How about you, jfman? What are your current viewing options? I don't think you've ever said.

By the way, I have ditched the Sky Cinema channels in favour of Now TV. I may go sooner before much longer. But it all depends on the advantage to me, and surely that is more important than any slavish conformity to principle.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Are you paying less for TV content than before the streamers came along? To me, it seems like more cost and more choice than ever before.
No, but this is a transitional period. The fact that you can subscribe to Netfix, Amazon and Now TV for less than £30 is surely a benefit to the consumer. How is that a bad thing?

I doubt very much that I will still be watching any pay-TV channels in five years' time. And my wallet will have more notes in it as a result.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Exactly

Agreed
Completely irrelevant and a depressing take on the level of debate on this subject.