View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 11:22   #7859
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
OB, really? I didn’t know that...

(Except for the fact, as mentioned before, that one of my best friends is a Lead Technical Architect at the BBC, working specifically on the Telecomms area, who speaks at International conferences on the impact of 5G on broadcasting, and who is a member of a National 5G Working Group advising the UK Government, and my comments are informed by discussions with him - which highly experienced technical resource at the BBC are your comments informed by?).
Well, how do you explain this, then, Hugh?

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-d...streaming-lag/

---------- Post added at 11:15 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Like all good armchair experts, you pose questions and insert caveats (‘probably’), demanding evidence and answers from others while all you ever do is promote your speculation. You’ve been at it for years, yet all we ever see are new linear channels popping up and streamers racking up massive debts trying to chase an audience that’s a fraction of the size.

Netflix is presently trumpeting the success of The Umbrella academy, whose first season was viewed in 45 million households - worldwide. The Umbrella Academy is great TV and a big success for Netflix, but even now it’s still niche. Pay-TV, regardless of how it’s delivered, always will be.
I seem to recall that Rupert Murdoch had similar problems when he launched satellite TV.

You say 'pay tv' will always be niche, which is a questionable statement, particularly if the BBC licence fee is converted into a subscription. Then there is AVOD, which will attract those who don't want to pay for their TV.

I am not sure why you are so satisfied about a small number of new channels launching in 2020. Once again, some seem to be having difficulty understanding the difference between the present and the future.

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’m not describing a romantic vision of anything. I’m stating facts.

Yes economics is something I understand. You’ve not demonstrated how streaming gets to 100%. Even if it only got to 99% I can find you dozens of channels with that kind of audience.

Streamers won’t be ideological (as you are). Free advertising is free advertising.
Advertisers will not be interested in paying good money to advertise their products to a small and probably not very wealthy audience.

As I've said before, audience levels do not have to reach anywhere near as low as 1% before traditional linear TV is ended. If we waited for everyone to convert voluntarily to digital TV, we would still have analogue as a choice.