View Single Post
Old 27-12-2019, 09:29   #1231
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Very true. I think we all recognise the takeover/merger and consolidation behaviour as a fairly natural occurrence in the market (as indeed, in all markets not just television).

It's a leap to then attribute it solely to streaming, or to take anything meaningful as to the viability of linear/subscription television going forward. Especially as we have more linear channels than at any point in history, I believe.
The media cos withdrawing their content from others and keeping it on their own services, is a result of the streamers though, as with the Disney announcement that they're withdrawing content from Sky. Although, at the moment this doesn't look like it will effect the Disney linear channels on Sky, such as they are and so far, no one else is following Disney's move.

As you say, there are more channels than ever, which is why I don't believe they can all survive in tandem with several streaming services too,. And this current wave of media consolidation is the perfect opportunity for the media cos to reduce some of their linear channels.