View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 18:48   #77
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
As you may know my 17 year old niece came out when she was 16, and currently her girlfriend who is 18 is living with her while she saves and looks for a place to live.

I believe that the couple had a right to refuse to do this cake.

Surely the customer could have taken their custom elsewhere, rather than try and get some money, out of the cake makers.

Plus they surely have a right to serve anyone.

Shops can ask you too leave, if they want.
I agree that I would have gone elsewhere. But others would say, "Why should we?"

The bakery was not complying with the law, pure and simple. And they cannot refuse to serve people because they are gay either.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
No, they didn't deny custom, they denied the customer's request which is different. If they refused to make any item because of the customer that would be wrong.

We shouldn't censor speech rights like this (it's different from hate speech but even there the definition can censor almost anything but there does seem to be a bias).
They denied a perfectly legal request for a cake with a gay slogan on it. You seem to be claiming that the bakery was within its rights to do this, but they were not, and the court has so determined.

I am puzzled by the weird distinctions you have made here, but they are wrong.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote