View Single Post
Old 14-09-2016, 19:36   #133
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: BBC license change to cover catchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Well after Who went off air in 89. The BBC kept publishing books and stuff. Then they brought it back in 2005.

So they very much own the show.
They own the name and the principal characters. A lot of the universe, they don't actually own, due to the way rights were allocated to scriptwriters during the classic era. The Terry Nation Estate, for example, owns the Daleks and a substantial chunk of what comes with them (Skaro, Thals, Davros).

Befor they brought the series back in 2005 they had to reacquire certain rights they had optioned out (there was a movie stuck in development hell for most of the time it was off air). I have heard - though I don't know if it's true - that they have had to buy a licence to use the theme tune.

So yes, they can make Doctor Who whenever they like, but to make it exactly the way we expect it to be is slightly more involved than you might think.

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
The voice I think it's called
The Voice went exactly the same way as Bake Off. The format owner (Endemol in this case) wanted a hefty chunk more money to renew the Beeb's licence to use it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote