View Single Post
Old 14-08-2009, 04:48   #43
s0dp4z
Inactive

s0dp4z is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: WEP, WPA or MAC Filtering - Which is best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
You could get the Nintendo WiFi dongle thing. It's basically a USB WiFi adaptor for your PC which uses a proprietary encryption method supported by the DS.

Instead of dropping the router's security down to the easily defeated WEP, so you can connect the DS to it, the DS wirelessly connects to the USB WiFi adaptor, which shares your PC's internet connection with the DS using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).
I'm sorry about bumping such an old thread but i read the faq and it doesn't seem to be any problem with doing so.
The thing is i'm having the same trouble as the OP of this thread , i really dont want to use wep security since it sucks.
So i want to ask , what is that propietary encryption thing ? (im not that knowledgable about this stuff)
what if i have a connection like this:
Adsl modem->Wireless Router(WPA2 encryption)->PC(wired) and Laptop(wireless)
If i connect this nintendo usb dongle thing to my PC , will this allow me to use the ds properly (maybe the dongle doesnt care its in WPA2 and it transmists the wireless connection as WEP?) does this mean mi pc will still be vulnerable as if i was using WEP for the whole thing? or is it safe?
what if i were using a simpler connection like :
Adsl modem->PC (wired) .. and i plug the dongle to my pc.Is it a good idea to do this or i cant still get hacked because of the dongle using wep?

If i didnt explain something correctly please tell me.I've been looking for information about this situation but i cant find anything,so i really hope you guys can help me.Thanks.
s0dp4z is offline   Reply With Quote