View Single Post
Old 29-06-2009, 20:35   #1
Wallace
cf.addict

Services: VM 200M
Wallace is on a distinguished roadWallace is on a distinguished road
Question Recommend me a router with built in print server please!

Now SWMBO has got her own laptop, I am finding it really awkward when it comes to printing.

I currently use a Belkin Print Server but TBH it's a bit of a faff. Each user has to manually connect to the printer before they can print, fair enough. If someone else on the network wants to print something then they have to ask the person connected to release the printer. It is possible to configure the Belkin to auto release, but this is of little use to us. It would be ideal if there was a system where as there was no need to manually connect to the printer, you just print from anywhere in the network and away you go.

I am also having difficulties with the server program itself. Both PC's are running Vista Home Premium, but there is a 50-50 chance that a program called ServoApp fails to load correctly on either PC at startup. This makes the whole print server setup useless and the only cure is a reboot - or so I have found.

Now, I know that you can buy a printer that has a wireless connection built in these days, but my current printer is working very well and I am loathe to change it at the moment.

Wireless connectivity (for the printer at least) is not required as it is sited next to the existing router so a direct ethernet connection will do.

Am I correct in thinking that if I get a router with a built in print server I can connect my existing USB printer directly to it and then print from anywhere in my home network? Also, would each PC user have to connect to the printer each time they wanted to print something or would the whole printing process be transparent?

Could any one recommend a good quality router (with wireless) that has the PS capability and is Vista compatable please?

I am looking at the D-Link DIR-855 at the moment which is expensive but if it works then so be it as it has other benefits over my existing router. The D-Link info for the 855 states that you can connect USB printers to it and print from anywhere in the network. I have read other reviews that say it doesn't have in-built print server abilities. Am I missunderstanded something here?

Thanks for reading and I eagerly await you replies.

Thanks.

BTW. This has been posted elsewhere but without a response so please forgive me if you have read this before.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote