View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 17:46   #1
10secondbuzz
Inactive

10secondbuzz is an unknown quantity at this point
strange 'block' problem has me stumped

I've been trying to diagnose a problem i've been having using msn messenger for the last 2 days and am completely stumped. the problem is with using messenger from any pc on my home network. It's worked for 2 years with no problems but two days ago I stopped being able to login.

It works through web based services so its not an account problem.
I don't run software firewalls and i have the same problem from any machine so id don't think it's a pc issue.

I've tried three different clients (msn, miranda and pixa msn) so it doesn't appear to be a client issue.

I cannot access messenger.hotmail.com through my web browser though if i use an web-based proxy (http://www.proxeasy.com/) i get redirected to the microsoft live login.

I've tried two different routers and though the problem went away briefly after swapping them over it came back within an hour... as it does if i bypass the router and connect directly to cable modem. (i'm on virgin cable broadband) .Theerefore i don't think it's the router(s) though haven't ruled it out...

when i do a trace route on messenger.hotmail.com i get the following
1. hop: 192.168.1.1: 0 ms
2. hop: 10.231.204.1: 20 ms
3. hop: 80.0.54.149 (leed-t2cam1-a-ge916.network.virginmedia.net): 10 ms
4. hop: 80.0.50.158 (leed-t3core-1b-ge-015-0.network.virginmedia.net): 6 ms
5. hop: timed out.
6. hop: timed out.
7. hop: timed out. etc ..etc

With my limited knowledge this looks to me likes it being blocked en-route so I called virgin but got nowhere with their support who practically refused to acknowledge the question.

windows firewall is not running and I've made no changes to the router configuration so in my mind the only thing that's left is a network issue.

If anyone know my next step in trying to get to the bottom of this i'd be eternally grateful.

please.. anyone.
10secondbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote