View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 13:38   #5
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: Help needed to choose wireless router for VM DSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigenous View Post
Hi Kelvin,

Thank you for the welcome and the info. Can you please explain:

- what is the difference between the different models (G, GS, GL)? Which one is "best" and which the most "up-to-date"?
- do Linksys models suffer from a similar "version plague" like the Netgear WGT624 (i.e. do I need to be 100% sure which version I am buying?)?
- I am not sure what "third party router firmware" is (I understand the phrase but I can't see why I would want to go down that route).

Many thanks for your time!

Rof
The G is the straight 54Mbps model, GS has 'speedbooster technology' which claims to increase throughput by up to 35%. This is probably only worth it for future proofing as I'm not sure of the compatibility of any built in laptop wireless adaptors with this. The GL is basically a reintroduced version 4 of the G model running a Linux OS. This has more RAM & flash memory so that it can be flashed with third party firmware.

Versionitis is rife with Linksys as well! I think v7.2 is the latest UK version of the G, v6 the GS & v1.1 the GL. Wiki page with version details (think these include US versions too) here.

Third party firmware basically offers more features/control for the router. The most popular for the Linksys are DD-WRT & Tomato.

[Edit] a) It's Kevin b) yes
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote