View Single Post
Old 23-05-2008, 16:10   #85
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif View Post
Not necessarily true. At some point in time ITV HD will likely be on Sky and Virgin - it's just not right now. But to say that it will not be on Sky is perhaps a little final?
You might have a point had you not overlooked the fact that I also posted this last night:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
ITV HD will not be provided to Sky until ITV is content that it has gained maximum advantage from having it exclusively on Freesat. Much the same way as Sky has always treated the cable companies with its own new channels really.
I very much agree with you, ITV HD will be on Sky eventually ... we just have no idea when. And seeing as Freesat is expected to grow organically (hence the low-key launch) rather than with a quick, rapid uptake, I'd guess ITV will expect there to be reasons *not* to put themselves on Sky for a fair while yet.

Quote:
Again, I think when the Sky box has such a capability or is made to open up their platform to third party software or whatever happens next, then iPlayer is likely to appear.

It may not be this year or even next year...but both the above are, IMHO, probable to appear.
Again, I agree. However, whichever way it plays out, Freesat is a good thing. If Sky is forced to behave in a more open and competitive manner, everyone wins, and it will have been thanks to Freesat acting as a catalyst. As someone pointed out, there are ethernet ports on the back of Sky+ boxes. How long has that been part of the hardware spec? Since launch? How many years ago? And yet they have done nothing about it. To this day, there is no active software loaded into the box that will allow you to connect your Sky+ box to your home LAN.

Sky has become indolent because it doesn't believe it has to innovate to stay ahead of the game. Until now, it was the only satellite game in town. Well, now, there's competition. This is a good thing. And it's thanks to Freesat.

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy View Post
you implied it.
If you say so.

Quote:
try researching a little more then
No thanks. I've quoted two reputable sources which say I'm right and you're wrong - if you still insist you're right, it's your turn to show us some proof.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote