View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 13:51   #1
mikeyw
Inactive

mikeyw is an unknown quantity at this point
Netgear Router Issues

Heya!

I have a little problem and I hope someone could help me please. Here is a list of my specifications which are relevant that may help address the issue. Here we go:

Virgin Media 20mb cable modem connected via ethernet and Netgear WGR 614v7 with the latest firmware.

There are two computers in the house. I have noticed, even when the other computer is turned off and my computer (connected directly to the router via an ethernet cable) is browing the internet, pages can load very slow, poor bandwidth speed test results and my upload speed is almost non-existant. I play games and I time out and freeze quite a lot with a quite high ping considering the 20mb service, I used to have lower ping on the 2mb service.

I am in the essex area and many of my friends (also with Virgin Media) tell me they are experiencing problems with them too, such as a little bit of lag in game but, however, they don't time out on webpages quite as much as I do. So I unplugged the router and made a direct connection from the modem to my ethernet nic and I get slighter better upload, not as it should be and my download is still not so good but I barely ever time out, which is good but I don't see why I am timing out if I am connected directly to the router.
Connected directly to the modem at night I downloaded:

http://gentoo.virginmedia.com/experi...-2007.0-r1.iso

I got decent speeds at around 2.3 mbp/s which is the highest I have ever had it, I think. However if this was during the day with the modem on, I would be surprised if I reached 100 kbp/s.

I am going to plug the router back in now and test the download speed of something else of this host...

Okay I just got around 2000kbps whilst downloading:

http://gentoo.virginmedia.com/experi...051026.tar.bz2

I am noticing pages loading slower too, I am guessing that maybe the router isn't configured properly?

Also, the speeds on this computer are, believe me when I say this, terrible when the downstairs computer is using the internet. It's timing out constantly.

I spoke, a few weeks ago, to someone from the Virgin Media customer support service and they said that there isn't a problem on my end, I explain that there clearly is and what had been happening, even before I had installed the router, the poor speeds etc, and he just said that he was running a test and it was completely fine, which it was not.

Many thanks to anyone that can help, sorry for such a long post!

mikey
mikeyw is offline   Reply With Quote