Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Virgin Mobile Is The MOST Expensive (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33618645)

Derrickpetr 29-07-2007 18:32

Virgin Mobile Is The MOST Expensive

Their secret is out - VM is the most expensive for downloading. £5 a MegaByte - yes that's right download a MP3 file and it will cost you about 10 to 15 quid. Orange costs 2 to 3 quid. T mobile is about the same. These charges are cunningly hidden at 0.5 pence per KiloByte - do the math!

Rip-off Richard - Do SKY provide mobiles yet?

Paul K 29-07-2007 18:49

Re: Virgin Mobile Is The MOST Expensive

Link to the proof? Would help to stop this thread self destructing very quickly.

bmxbandit 29-07-2007 18:50

Secret? It's plainly written in their tariff... if you're looking to download any significant amount of data, its not a good deal. If you're not, then I think it's not bad.

I would link to it, but the site seems to be temporarily down...

edit: cached version

Paul K 29-07-2007 18:56

Most providers are expensive for downloading data bia mobile. I use my O2 phone sparingly in that regard as I know what the costs are and it's not good lol

Stuart 29-07-2007 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derrickpetr (Post 34362006)
Their secret is out - VM is the most expensive for downloading. £5 a MegaByte - yes that's right download a MP3 file and it will cost you about 10 to 15 quid. Orange costs 2 to 3 quid. T mobile is about the same. These charges are cunningly hidden at 0.5 pence per KiloByte - do the math!

Depends on their tariff. Look at the Flext 20 tariff, data is 0.73p per KB

Rik 29-07-2007 20:12

Have to agree with the original poster, VMobile are ridiculously expensive for downloading data.

When i first got my VMobile, i thought I would dabble and download a few bits here and there, checked my bill a hour later and £15!! in data charges.

Why they cannot introduce some kind of package for a fiver to download a set amount I dont know.

Apart from that tho, im very happy with VMobile.

Stuart 29-07-2007 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 34362094)
Have to agree with the original poster, VMobile are ridiculously expensive for downloading data.

I wasn't saying they aren't. I was saying that all the networks have expensive tariffs.

havaska 30-07-2007 08:55

I'm on 3 and they charge £2 per mb. Interestingly, you can pay £2.50 a month and get 10mb of downloads, or £5 a month and get unlimited downloads (the current speed is about 750k).

The unlimited downloads thing is cool as you can use your phone as a modem and bluetooth connect it to your laptop and access the proper internet at broadband speeds :D

Rik 30-07-2007 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by havaska (Post 34362257)
or £5 a month and get unlimited downloads (the current speed is about 750k).

Why VM dont offer something along those lines is beyond me, I would gladly pay £10 for unlimited downloads.
One question tho would it be shaped! LOL! (Sorry couldnt resist that one!) :D

buckleb 30-07-2007 14:22

The £5 a month unlimited offer from three is actually £5 for 1GB. It's still far better than anything else out there (as far as I can see), but it's that weasel use of the word 'unlimited' again.

Shaun 03-08-2007 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derrickpetr (Post 34362006)

But T-Mobile cap at £1 (or from Sept tehy charge a flat £1) per day. :)

UncleBooBoo 04-08-2007 16:33

3 are the cheapest when it comes to data allowance!

£5 a month for unlimited access.

Ohh and there are rumors that sky are after 3UK although I cant see it some how!

Shaun 05-08-2007 03:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleBooBoo (Post 34368318)

Ohh and there are rumors that sky are after 3UK although I cant see it some how!

Depends if you intend to use it for the whole month or just for a day. You're can't just make an assumption like than when judging value :)

fatassmichael 06-08-2007 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleBooBoo (Post 34368318)

That is subject to a FUP of 1GB per month, also, the data usage dosent include using the mobile as a modem.

http://three.co.uk/customer/linkdocu...=1089021441077

Page 12

Mike

UncleBooBoo 09-08-2007 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatassmichael (Post 34369304)
That is subject to a FUP of 1GB per month, also, the data usage dosent include using the mobile as a modem.

http://three.co.uk/customer/linkdocu...=1089021441077

Page 12

Mike

I agree about the 1GB allowance, companies should not be allowed to advertise something if it is infact not unlimited!

With regards to using it as a modem well it's against the terms & conditions but you can use it as one and it comes out of the allowance!