Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Could this be owned by Virgin (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709987)

Device 21-04-2021 22:38

Could this be owned by Virgin

3 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post. This forum came up during a google search.

There is a flat top rectangular cabinet that sits in our hedges within our gardens boundary and not out on the pavement itself.

It's been hidden in our hedges all the years we lived here. I did try to identify it online in the past to see if it could be remove completely as its rusting away at the back, plus looking to create driveway, but nothing really looked the same.

I also asked an OpenReach engineer who was working across the road if he be able to ID it. He said been doing the job 40 years and he wasn't sure want it was (no markings or stamps), he said could be electricity for street lights or cable from Virgin.

Well anyway, today i noticed our hedges had been cut away to gain access to it and could see whoever it was has left it unlocked and had not closed the door complete over.

So looked inside (pictures attached) and it as WISI Amplifier and judges pictures they put nice new white coaxial cable in.

Would anyone in here know if this is likely to be owned by Virgin, Cant think of who else it could be.

cheers

jfman 22-04-2021 04:25

Re: Could this be owned by Virgin

Yes. That amplifier has a QR code on it as well, so they probably installed it when recently accessing the cabinet.

Hutch6271 22-04-2021 09:46

Looks like an old communal matv system. Is there a TV connection point in the house?

Carth 22-04-2021 09:57

Very pleased to see that the money from the latest price rise is being spent on new white cables infrastructure :D

weesteev 22-04-2021 10:16

Its either MATV or you have found some old Rediffusion network. This does not look like anything VM currently has in its network. If you DM me the address location I can confirm what it is for you.

Chris 22-04-2021 10:33

... and I’m happy to confirm that we know Weesteev is a Virgin employee and it’s safe to send him that information.

pip08456 22-04-2021 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36077592)
Yes. That amplifier has a QR code on it as well, so they probably installed it when recently accessing the cabinet.

You're seeing things, there's no QR code in sight.

SnoopZ 22-04-2021 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36077623)
You're seeing things, there's no QR code in sight.

There is a QR code in the first image on the label (passing my glasses to you). ;)

Device 22-04-2021 11:57

Aye jfman i had noticed the QR code, i take it they've replaced that old rusted Wolsey electronics box with the WISI.

Hutch6271 - There is a satellite dish and tv aerial on our roof with cables running down to our living room, but don't think there is anything coming from the ground into our house. Our house is on a corner of a cross roads so they are all semi detached. had a wee look at google maps and the semis all seem to have tv aerials, the the 4-in-a-block houses running down the streets don't seem to have aerials. It a mixture of council and bought houses around here.

:D Carth - To be fair Virgin Media had dug up all the roads and pavements here putting in cabling about 2 year ago. That's why i was beginning to think the cabinet was electricity for street lights, as they never cut our hedge away to gain access to it. but thinking back it would have been Virgin fibre broadband being installed in the area.

aye weesteev i'll ping you the address. if its MATV is that a council ownership thing. take it the fact someone has access it after all these years its still in use so wont be able to remove it or move it.

thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

joglynne 22-04-2021 12:20

Hi Device, I'm not able to help you but thought that a "Welcome to the forums" was in order.

Nice to see that our members are on form and always happy to help new members. :)

pip08456 22-04-2021 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36077629)
There is a QR code in the first image on the label (passing my glasses to you). ;)

So there is, I had to enlarge the image to see it though.

Apologies jfman.

Hom3r 26-04-2021 13:59

It doesn't look like a standard QR code?

Device 26-04-2021 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36077642)
Hi Device, I'm not able to help you but thought that a "Welcome to the forums" was in order.

Nice to see that our members are on form and always happy to help new members. :)

Thanks Joglyyne,

I should have probably asked here a few year back.

Here's hoping i can identify it.

The daughter of our elderly neighbour just knocked my door there to ask about the box as her mum not had any TV signal for a few days now.

I said I taken a picture of it to try identify who owns it. So sounds like whoever open it has knocked the neighbours tv off.

SnoopZ 26-04-2021 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36077977)
It doesn't look like a standard QR code?

It looks like the QR codes we put on our products at work for their serial numbers.

Hom3r 26-04-2021 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36078003)
It looks like the QR codes we put on our products at work for their serial numbers.

I thought QR codes had the 3 black boxes?