Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   VOIP (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711240)

Dude111 17-10-2022 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter
I am and i'm dreading this. I believe that vulnerable customers are given a back up battery in case of power cuts, but what's the use of this if it's the broadband that's down?

Everytime the power goes out we lose our phone... Yes we have a battery but the company does not keep the amps active so it doesnt work........ (I think 1 time I remember they did activate the amps about 20 mins after power dropped)

It really does suck,not a good phone system at all!!!

Hom3r 30-10-2022 12:58

Re: VOIP

Am I right in thinking that the VOIP sound is poor quality?

ozsat 30-10-2022 18:21

I didn't notice a drop when I changed over

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36138861)

Paul 30-10-2022 22:54

I would expect them to be better, not worse, the frequency spread of standard phone calls is very narrow (300 Hz to 3.4 kHz) thats why the always sound like they do.

I would hope VOIP does better. I certainly notice that calls using the internet on other systems (like skype, teams etc) sound far better than standard phone calls.

Mad Max 31-10-2022 17:06

I think it's fine, no sound loss or any interference.

BenMcr 31-10-2022 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36138900)
I would hope VOIP does better.

As far as I understand it the Hub based lines currently aim to replicate the analogue service as much as possible to ensure compatibility with existing analogue line handsets.

Some other solutions deployed by BT / Openreach need new devices that are IP to the handset and offer 'HD' call quality due to that, but as far as I can see only work with the ISP specific Hub.

Personal view is that once all (or most) customers are moved to the Hub based lines, then Virgin Media will look at how and whether it's worth doing the same.

Itshim 31-10-2022 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36131069)
You'll be required to at some point to make a choice. If you keep the SH2 then your line will be disconnected and your bundle adjusted to be for your remaining services

Does that mean a reduction of the bill, from memory phone line is £19 per month . Never use it so a welcome saving . :D

Dude111 02-11-2022 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r

Yes in my opinion... I was recently at a friends house who is on a DMS 100 switch (Same one I was on in the 90s) and the quality is absolutely goregous compared to this cable system trash!!

MacmillaN 14-11-2022 03:54

Due to the supposed change to the Telephone line, My hub is in a back bedroom and i have two telephone sockets in the property(Living room and kitchen), ideally i would like to keep the router where it is so i am looking into upgrading the handset to a phone which has a base station to connect to the router, then two handsets can be placed into both rooms.

Any recommendations?

alwaysabear 18-11-2022 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacmillaN (Post 36139898)
Due to the supposed change to the Telephone line, My hub is in a back bedroom and i have two telephone sockets in the property(Living room and kitchen), ideally i would like to keep the router where it is so i am looking into upgrading the handset to a phone which has a base station to connect to the router, then two handsets can be placed into both rooms.

Any recommendations?

I have the set up you are looking at. I have four Panasonic hand sets with a base station spread through out the house and not any problems.

Itshim 19-11-2022 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 36140373)
I have the set up you are looking at. I have four Panasonic hand sets with a base station spread through out the house and not any problems.

So do I kitchen bedroom and study , wonder why as it is only ever cold calling . Never use them to make a call :erm: and they are Panasonic phones !

pythagoras 02-01-2023 15:31

What happens to customers who only have virgin TV and landline? Are they going to be forced to have internet access or no landline? What if they are vulnerable customers who dont have internet? Will they just be cut off from a landline?

spiderplant 02-01-2023 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by pythagoras (Post 36143008)
What happens to customers who only have virgin TV and landline? Are they going to be forced to have internet access or no landline? What if they are vulnerable customers who dont have internet? Will they just be cut off from a landline?

They get a hub that doesn't have internet access enabled.

pythagoras 04-01-2023 21:15

Thanks Spider

nodrogd 09-01-2023 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36138956)
Does that mean a reduction of the bill, from memory phone line is £19 per month . Never use it so a welcome saving . :D

ATM the majority of 21CV connections still go back to the existing switched headend exchanges, so all that is replaced is the copper pair between your house & the nearest optical node. When the exchanges are shut down & full VoIP is enabled, then perhaps you will find the line rental gets absorbed into your Broadband charge.