Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Tv switching itself off randomly (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710560)

vincerooney 16-11-2021 19:31

Tv switching itself off randomly

Hi all,

Just wanted a bit of advice. I’ve had my Samsung HD tv for 13 years now. I’m a fan of it and it’s never let me down. No it’s just randomly switching itself and then turning itself back on after a few seconds. I’m not sure what’s causing it.

It’s never done this before. The tv is in my boxroom which I won’t lie is spaghetti junction with adapters and other Devices plugged in all over the place but again it’s always been like this.

So my question is what do we think it could be or is the tv on the way out basically? Any way to test anything etc?

Secondly my current tv is 28inches, I could probably fit a new tv in up to the size of 32 inches but I assume this won’t be 4K? I’ve been told UHD or 4K (which are the same I think?) don’t work on tvs this small?

Jaymoss 16-11-2021 19:34

Re: Tv switching itself off randomly

Check cables and try others. The age tells me it could well be on its way out

Does it actually turn itself off ?? if so I would guess power supply

OLD BOY 16-11-2021 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36101494)
Hi all,

Just wanted a bit of advice. I’ve had my Samsung HD tv for 13 years now. I’m a fan of it and it’s never let me down. No it’s just randomly switching itself and then turning itself back on after a few seconds. I’m not sure what’s causing it.

It’s never done this before. The tv is in my boxroom which I won’t lie is spaghetti junction with adapters and other Devices plugged in all over the place but again it’s always been like this.

So my question is what do we think it could be or is the tv on the way out basically? Any way to test anything etc?

Secondly my current tv is 28inches, I could probably fit a new tv in up to the size of 32 inches but I assume this won’t be 4K? I’ve been told UHD or 4K (which are the same I think?) don’t work on tvs this small?

When my TV switched itself on randomly, it turned out that I needed new batteries in my remote control. I’d try changing them first to see if that does the trick.

Carth 16-11-2021 19:58

A few years ago, our TV wouldn't turn on . . . it cost me £40 for a new switch.

to be honest, I should have left the thing broken ;)

Jaymoss 16-11-2021 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36101494)
Hi all,

If you have an external freeview box or sky or android device you could just use a 32" 4K monitor

nomadking 16-11-2021 20:20

It may not be switching off. The display can go blank if it's resetting the HDCP or having EDID conflicts.

vincerooney 17-11-2021 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36101498)
When my TV switched itself on randomly, it turned out that I needed new batteries in my remote control. I’d try changing them first to see if that does the trick.

Good shout oldboy i havent changed them in years as i always use my virgin remote...ill give that a go. If this has actually caused it then I’ll laugh my head off haha. I cant be this lucky surely!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36101504)
If you have an external freeview box or sky or android device you could just use a 32" 4K monitor

Nah only virgin media sadly! I basically live in my boxroom and I’ve got a computer right next to my tv table so there isn’t much room to play with haha
Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36101507)
It may not be switching off. The display can go blank if it's resetting the HDCP or having EDID conflicts.

I’m not sure what any of this means? I don’t think my tv is new enough to have any of these but I’m completely ignorant! Turned itself off before and didn’t turn on for about 40 seconds before finally the red light kicked in and it came back on!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36101495)
Check cables and try others. The age tells me it could well be on its way out
Does it actually turn itself off ?? if so I would guess power supply

Aye yep red light disappears and the tv has switched itself off. Been a really good tv too!

nomadking 17-11-2021 07:17

I assumed your TV is using an HDMI connection, and not an old SCART connection.
Do any of the current VM boxes have a SCART socket?

Jaymoss 17-11-2021 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36101540)
Good shout oldboy i havent changed them in years as i always use my virgin remote...ill give that a go. If this has actually caused it then I’ll laugh my head off haha. I cant be this lucky surely!

Nah only virgin media sadly! I basically live in my boxroom and I’ve got a computer right next to my tv table so there isn’t much room to play with haha

I’m not sure what any of this means? I don’t think my tv is new enough to have any of these but I’m completely ignorant! Turned itself off before and didn’t turn on for about 40 seconds before finally the red light kicked in and it came back on!

Aye yep red light disappears and the tv has switched itself off. Been a really good tv too!

So seeing as you have a tv service with VM a 32 inch 4K monitor would work

I still think it is the screens power supply

vincerooney 17-11-2021 16:20

It seems to work fine then I disconnect the power cable from the tv for a few seconds and then put it back in? Like this morning I took it out and back in and got an hour or so and then it started messing up again switching itself off and on repeatedly. I disconnected the wire again waited 30 seconds and I’ve had about 20 mins without it switching it off so far… no idea what’s going on or whether this is connected?

Jaymoss 17-11-2021 16:22

I will say it one more time. Power supply hahahaha I mean inside the tv not the cable

vincerooney 17-11-2021 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36101647)
I will say it one more time. Power supply hahahaha I mean inside the tv not the cable

Damn so no chance of buying a new power cable for it working? It’s basically done and dusted?

Jaymoss 17-11-2021 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36101657)
Damn so no chance of buying a new power cable for it working? It’s basically done and dusted?

It is a power brick or just a cable ?

vincerooney 17-11-2021 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36101662)
It is a power brick or just a cable ?

Just a plug with 3 holes in it which goes into the tv

Jaymoss 17-11-2021 18:20

well I guess that would not be too expensive to test