Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   BBC Chairman Richard Sharp resigns (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711865)

1andrew1 28-04-2023 10:06

BBC Chairman Richard Sharp resigns

Quote:

Speaking about his subsequent interview with the appointments panel ahead of his appointment as BBC chairman, he says: “I wish, with the benefit of hindsight, this potential perceived conflict of interest was something I had considered to mention.

“I would like once again to apologise for that oversight – inadvertent though it was – and for the distraction these events have caused the BBC”.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-65338490

1701-e 28-04-2023 10:14

Re: BBC Chairman Richard Sharp resigns

Bent AF.

Hugh 28-04-2023 10:42

Quote:

Two non-disclosure breaches by Sharp, report finds

We're looking at the Commissioner for Public Appointments' report in full now, which has found two non-disclosures by Richard Sharp during the application process for his BBC chairman role breached the governance code for public appointments.

Adam Heppinstall KC says Sharp failed to disclose two "potential perceived conflicts of interest" to the panel that interviewed him.

1) Sharp informed then Prime Minister Boris Johnson that he "wished to apply to be chair of the BBC board, before he made his application in November 2020".

2) Sharp told Johnson, before he was interviewed, that he was going to to make the introduction between Sam Blyth and the Cabinet Secretary Simon Case, with Blyth having suggested he might be able to "assist the former prime minister with his personal finances".
Quote:

Speaking about his subsequent interview with the appointments panel ahead of his appointment as BBC chairman, Sharp says: “I wish, with the benefit of hindsight, this potential perceived conflict of interest was something I had considered to mention.

“I would like once again to apologise for that oversight – inadvertent though it was – and for the distraction these events have caused the BBC."
Not sure there are enough caveats in that sentence…

Damien 28-04-2023 11:12

So corrupt

Ms NTL 28-04-2023 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36150706)
So corrupt

Only £800,000... a minor oversight :D The PPP (? correct acronym)) contracts were worth millions....

jfman 28-04-2023 12:04

Long overdue. A stain on our state broadcaster’s fledgeling claims to independence.

ianch99 28-04-2023 12:50

One less BBC Tory Stooge .. how many to go?

Just shows the toxic consequences of having met Johnson .. he's like a political "Typhoid Mary"

1andrew1 28-04-2023 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36150713)

Just shows the toxic consequences of having met Johnson .. he's like a political "Typhoid Mary"

:D:D:D

Hugh 28-04-2023 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36150713)

@MatthewGwyther

Quote:

Sharp the latest in a heap of individuals who rue the day they ever had anything to do with Boris Johnson, a transactional, purely self-interested loner who contaminates all who touch him

Sephiroth 28-04-2023 14:51

Johnson seems to me to be the culprit.

Damien 28-04-2023 15:40

I am frustrated there are no consequences to this other than him needing to resign. The chairmanship of the BBC was awarded to someone as a thank you for helping to secure a loan for the PM! There should be legal ramifications to such naked corruption.

Ms NTL 28-04-2023 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36150725)
I am frustrated there are no consequences to this other than him needing to resign. The chairmanship of the BBC was awarded to someone as a thank you for helping to secure a loan for the PM! There should be legal ramifications to such naked corruption.

There is no crime proven. Somebody helped somebody else to get loan.

What I want know, which bank/fund gave the loan to Bojo, what was the interest rate and what was the collateral.;) Did the chairman of BBC was the guarantor or a proxy of his?

ianch99 28-04-2023 16:51

The stories of Tory corruption/sleaze/etc. now seem to be arriving on a daily basis. They are toast.

Mick 28-04-2023 17:28

Labour are no better, Google Jess Philips.

ianch99 28-04-2023 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36150735)
Labour are no better, Google Jess Philips.

You are wrong. The depths of proven corruption & sleaze is so vast, they have to go. If after 5+ years in Government, Labour are proven to be the same then I will agree with you. Until then, my point stands.