Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Elizabeth Line (Crossrail) opens (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711066)

Damien 24-05-2022 12:33

Elizabeth Line (Crossrail) opens

After over a decade Crossrail has finally opened: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-e...ondon-61507125

Rode it this morning. Really modern stations and trains. Connects together some parts of London, like Canary Wharf, that were not that well connected really well.

Pierre 24-05-2022 15:15

Re: Elizabeth Line (Crossrail) opens

Hurray for London. The residents of Leeds and Manchester are really happy for you and your new trains.

Chris 24-05-2022 15:30

The people of this great northern city duly doff their caps and gasp at the latest technological marvel to be unveiled in our great capital. I’m truly chuffed that Londoners can now traverse their city 10 minutes quicker, or get to Canary Wharf without changing at Mornington Crescent.

It’s just a pity it went a teensy wee say bit over-budget isn’t it. I’m pretty sure we could have replaced every single ferry serving the Western Isles twice over with that money.

papa smurf 24-05-2022 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36123409)
The people of this great northern city duly doff their caps and gasp at the latest technological marvel to be unveiled in our great capital. I’m truly chuffed that Londoners can now traverse their city 10 minutes quicker, or get to Canary Wharf without changing at Mornington Crescent.

It’s just a pity it went a teensy wee say bit over-budget isn’t it. I’m pretty sure we could have replaced every single ferry serving the Western Isles twice over with that money.

Not if wee nippy got involved in it :spin:

Chris 24-05-2022 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36123410)
Not if wee nippy got involved in it :spin:

Note ‘could have,’ as in ‘theoretically possible’ :D

In reality, the SNP would have spent the money propping up any engineering firm with a Nat-voting boss, thrown several millions at them, then when they failed to deliver, throw some more millions at them and nationalise the mess into the bargain.

Damien 24-05-2022 18:25

I take it as a sign that we can do infrastructure projects in this country - albeit expensive and late - and that the Government should be doing more of it instead of pandering to NIMBYism and treating the U.K as a project of managed decline.

Besides Crossrail is one of the more complicated projects that could be taken on. Tunnelling through an already widely developed London isn't cheap or easy. Landmarks and homes had to come down.

Mad Max 24-05-2022 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36123434)
I take it as a sign that we can do infrastructure projects in this country - albeit expensive and late - and that the Government should be doing more of it instead of pandering to NIMBYism and treating the U.K as a project of managed decline.

Besides Crossrail is one of the more complicated projects that could be taken on. Tunnelling through an already widely developed London isn't cheap or easy. Landmarks and homes had to come down.

Nah, these things only happen in London mate.

Damien 24-05-2022 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36123435)
Nah, these things only happen in London mate.

Then make the politicians accountable for it. What happened to the Northern Powerhouse? Why is HS2 being scaled back?

There is too much pandering to NIMBYs in this country and not enough ambition.

1andrew1 24-05-2022 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36123409)

It's an unfortunate fact about large transport infrastructure that it tends to be over budget and over time. Not inevitable but Berlin Airport (9 year-delay), Edinburgh trams and HS2 suggest it's more common than not.

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36123438)
Then make the politicians accountable for it. What happened to the Northern Powerhouse? Why is HS2 being scaled back?

There is too much pandering to NIMBYs in this country and not enough ambition.

We would all be enjoying cheaper energy bills except that our recent governments have pandered to NIMBYs and effectively banned onshore wind power, the cheapest form of electricity.

Northern Powerhouse has been defunded by the government; presumably because there's insufficient votes for them in it.

OLD BOY 24-05-2022 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36123406)
Hurray for London. The residents of Leeds and Manchester are really happy for you and your new trains.

HS2 is coming, and it’s a lot quicker than the London Underground!

papa smurf 24-05-2022 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36123456)

Not anywhere near here it's not.

Mr K 24-05-2022 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36123456)

Not much good if the staff are on strike. Still I'm sure it'll look lovely.
https://news.sky.com/story/national-...ction-12620515

pip08456 24-05-2022 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36123379)
After over a decade Crossrail has finally opened: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-e...ondon-61507125

Rode it this morning. Really modern stations and trains. Connects together some parts of London, like Canary Wharf, that were not that well connected really well.

WOW! So, you expect a totally new service to use old trains and stations.

Damien 24-05-2022 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36123477)

I didn't expect it because I knew already but it's not uncommon for 'new' services on TFL to use existing stations or already used trains. When TFL took over the overground sections it used a lot of the same stations, the Highbury and Islington to Rotherhithe overground used existing track, when TFL took over Greater Anglia lines we got the old trains and then eventually recycled Overground Trains some years later.

The Elizabeth Line is also doing some of this. Today’s the day the totally new core London route opened but between Stratford and Shenfield it's using an existing, but rebranded, line.

jfman 24-05-2022 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36123477)

That’s what passes for “new” up north. :D

Hand me down trains from TOCs in the south and one new station a decade.