Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Telco Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Landlines to be axed by 2025 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710321)

Paul 18-08-2021 00:08

Landlines to be axed by 2025

Landline are to be axed by 2025, in a country wide switch to digital.

Quote:

The traditional landline telephone call will be consigned to history from 2025 as all UK phone calls make the transition to digital.

That means every household and business in the country that wants to maintain a phone line will also need to be connected to the internet.

Millions of Brits will therefore be forced online for the first time or will have to rely on a mobile phone.
According to the latest Ofcom research, there are still 1.5 million UK homes without an internet connection.

The change has drawn comparisons to the digital TV switchover in 2012, when broadcasters stopped transmitting analogue signals to rooftop aerials.
https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/16/tradi...ital-15097358/

(This is in all the papers, I just happened to pick the above).

Carth 18-08-2021 00:10

Re: Landlines to be axed by 2025

Will my VM bill reduce accordingly? :D

Paul 18-08-2021 00:14

Probably not.

Its kinda confusing though, since you will still need the actual physical line to your house, to supply the internet, its just the device on the end of it that will change.

Im not sure how telephone exchanges will cope with this, basically every phone line would need to be an ADSL connection ?

Digital calls themselves are nothing new, Ive had a skype number for almost 14 years, and still use it (sometimes) to make calls, as well as receive them.

It *should* mean calls to any other uk number would be free, since everything will be over the internet.

Chris 18-08-2021 00:21

IIRC BT has been preparing to switch its entire network to VOIP for years now. In previously reading about this I got the impression that there would be no change necessary to customer equipment as it was all about how the call data was handled once it got to the telephone exchange. If they are going to force voip equipment into subscriber homes I would imagine they would be installing something near the master socket that’s not unlike the fixed Openreach wall box you get if you take a FTTC product.

BenMcr 18-08-2021 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36090168)
IIRC BT has been preparing to switch its entire network to VOIP for years now. In previously reading about this I got the impression that there would be no change necessary to customer equipment as it was all about how the call data was handled once it got to the telephone exchange. If they are going to force voip equipment into subscriber homes I would imagine they would be installing something near the master socket that’s not unlike the fixed Openreach wall box you get if you take a FTTC product.

By the looks of it everyone will get at least a Smart Hub 2 with a telco socket

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/wha...-can-i-get-it-

But with additional kit to use existing handsets https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/he...-userguide.pdf

Virgin Media are doing a similar thing. Telco only (or Telco and TiVo only) customers still get a Hub, just one that isn't provisioned for Virgin Fibre. The difference currently is that the Hub sockets will run existing handsets directly.

Stephen 18-08-2021 14:33

My Sky router uses the fttp for the telco now. No phone socket in the house.

RichardCoulter 18-08-2021 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36090166)
Probably not.

Its kinda confusing though, since you will still need the actual physical line to your house, to supply the internet, its just the device on the end of it that will change.

Im not sure how telephone exchanges will cope with this, basically every phone line would need to be an ADSL connection ?

Digital calls themselves are nothing new, Ive had a skype number for almost 14 years, and still use it (sometimes) to make calls, as well as receive them.

It *should* mean calls to any other uk number would be free, since everything will be over the internet.

I can't see the operators letting us have the calls for free, though perhaps they will be if they decide to put line rental up again for everybody.

A lot of people use their mobiles or apps such as WhatsApp, which is probably why line rental has become more expensive (and line rental saver scrapped) with free calls offered in the evenings and weekends.

It will be the less tech savvy that will lose out, often older people, as usual.

Chris 18-08-2021 19:41

I’m seriously considering binning my entire BT service when it goes out of contract. Everything our family does now is via 4G, whether calls on our own mobiles or data via our SIM-powered router, which gives us about twice the speed of the nearest house so far connected to fibre (the line ends about 2 miles from us).

Mr K 18-08-2021 21:56

So in an emergency and your interweb is down and/or your mobile has no reception/battery, you're stuffed. A separate independent landline might be a lifesaver.

jb66 18-08-2021 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36090238)
So in an emergency and your interweb is down and/or your mobile has no reception/battery, you're stuffed. A separate independent landline might be a lifesaver.

Whats the chances of Internet going down AND all 4 mobile operators go down at the same time AND you have an emergancy?

cheekyangus 18-08-2021 22:31

Here's the BBC article on the story.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58233420

Chris 18-08-2021 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36090238)

True. However, we live in a remote location so preparedness is second nature - there are multiple USB power banks in our drawers, always fully charged. Having installed 4G home internet I am also intimately acquainted with the quirks and vagaries of the local network cells so I’m confident I can always get a signal, even if it means going outside and walking about 20 metres down the road (for good line of sight to the second-best cell in our locality, should our preferred one go down).

Our BT service relies on nearly 5 miles of pole-mounted cable, so in the sort of storm liable to take out the power, the landline is equally vulnerable.

Corey N Georgie 18-08-2021 23:35

My dad isn't gonna be impressed as he cant use a mobile properly lol
When he sends a text we need to get it deciphered lol.

jfman 18-08-2021 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 36090240)
Whats the chances of Internet going down AND all 4 mobile operators go down at the same time AND you have an emergancy?

You're assuming coverage from 4 operators.

Hugh 19-08-2021 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36090252)
You're assuming coverage from 4 operators.

As has been said before, people out in the sticks already have issues with landlines.

My brother-in-law lives in rural Hampshire, and his BT line goes down about 5% of the year - overhead cables, strong winds, trees - join the dots.