Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   FBI searches former president Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711234)

1andrew1 09-08-2022 13:27

FBI searches former president Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate

So much negative news around at the moment so I thought I'd share this piece bit of good news, IMHO.
Quote:

FBI searches former president Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida

The FBI has searched Donald Trump's estate in Florida, with the former president claiming his home was "raided" and "under siege" and that agents broke open a safe.

A senior US official said FBI agents were at Mr Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach "for the majority of the day" on Monday.

The US Justice Department has been investigating the discovery of boxes of records containing classified information that were taken to Mar-a-Lago after Mr Trump's presidency ended.

They were retrieved in January by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), which then asked the Justice Department to examine whether Mr Trump's handling of White House records violated federal law.

It noted that some of the boxes contained items "marked as classified national security information".

Any search of a private residence would have to be approved by a judge. The search is also likely to have been approved by FBI Director Christopher Wray, a Trump appointee, and his boss, Attorney General Merrick Garland, who was appointed by President Joe Biden.

"This is as big a deal as you can have, and... every single person in the chain would have had to sign off on this," Phillip Halpern, a former federal prosecutor, said.

Hours before agents searched the premises, the FBI notified the Secret Service about the bureau's plans to execute the warrant, according to a Secret Service official.

The Secret Service facilitated access to the property, the official said, but did not take part in any aspect of the search.

The White House said it was not given a heads-up about the search.
https://news.sky.com/story/donald-tr...state-12668800

Mick 09-08-2022 13:51

Re: FBI searches former president Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate

I’m more intrigued as to what’s on Hunter Biden’s laptop. https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/20/p...ure/index.html

Chris 09-08-2022 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130659)
So much negative news around at the moment so I thought I'd share this piece bit of good news, IMHO.

https://news.sky.com/story/donald-tr...state-12668800

If Trump is holding on to classified government papers he’s no longer entitled to see, that’s serious. I’m interested to see how this pans out.

At the very least the constant drip feeding of this stuff into the public consciousness must be harming his chances of getting the nomination for the next election.

TheDaddy 09-08-2022 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36130665)
If Trump is holding on to classified government papers he’s no longer entitled to see, that’s serious. I’m interested to see how this pans out.

At the very least the constant drip feeding of this stuff into the public consciousness must be harming his chances of getting the nomination for the next election.

You're joking, no one plays the victim as well as Donny, his fans will lap up tales of deep state interference and radical democrats infiltrating all areas of government, it won't harm him at all, if he wins though I doubt the federal government or it's institutions will recover for years from his revenge purge

Damien 09-08-2022 14:41

The January 6 riots/attempted coup should be the line for Trump supporters. An attack on the actual seat of their Democracy designed to overturn an election they lost is scary in any country let alone America. It's crazy.

If they tolerate that then holding onto classified documents is small fry.

Mick 09-08-2022 15:07

The pathetic Democrats are just as bad, with Pelosi last week potentially causing a nuclear Armageddon, visiting Taiwan and angering China, which makes the 6th Jan seem the the real small fry.

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

It’s important to note that Biden’s approval amongst all Americans is just 37%.

He is the worst President in history.

Chris 09-08-2022 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36130669)
The January 6 riots/attempted coup should be the line for Trump supporters. An attack on the actual seat of their Democracy designed to overturn an election they lost is scary in any country let alone America. It's crazy.

If they tolerate that then holding onto classified documents is small fry.

I think there’s a difference between the hardcore fans and those who are just on the right of American politics and minded to vote GOP. Sure there’s likely nothing that will dissuade the true believers but in order to get the nomination he needs the moderate majority. Even more so if he wants to go on and win the presidency.

Damien 09-08-2022 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36130678)
I think there’s a difference between the hardcore fans and those who are just on the right of American politics and minded to vote GOP. Sure there’s likely nothing that will dissuade the true believers but in order to get the nomination he needs the moderate majority. Even more so if he wants to go on and win the presidency.

Yeah, we'll see. The problem is that Trump has a strong hold on the GOP base so he can win the nomination and GOP representatives in congress are worried about crossing him in case his base challenges them in their primaries.

Ron DeSantis is the obvious alternative that's still Trump-like in delivery so maybe he can soak up enough support.

There is also the worry of what happens if he runs and loses in 2024 again or even what Election Day 2024 would be like.

Paul 09-08-2022 15:27

For those of us who dont follow US politics, what, or who, is GOP ?

Damien 09-08-2022 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36130683)
For those of us who dont follow US politics, what, or who, is GOP ?

Republican Party (Grand Old Party)

TheDaddy 09-08-2022 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36130680)
Yeah, we'll see. The problem is that Trump has a strong hold on the GOP base so he can win the nomination and GOP representatives in congress are worried about crossing him in case his base challenges them in their primaries.

Ron DeSantis is the obvious alternative that's still Trump-like in delivery so maybe he can soak up enough support.

There is also the worry of what happens if he runs and loses in 2024 again or even what Election Day 2024 would be like.

You think DeSantis knew about the raid?

1andrew1 09-08-2022 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36130687)
You think DeSantis knew about the raid?

The White House was not forewarned so I doubt he knew in advance either.

Mick 09-08-2022 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36130680)
Yeah, we'll see. The problem is that Trump has a strong hold on the GOP base so he can win the nomination and GOP representatives in congress are worried about crossing him in case his base challenges them in the primary.

You obviously missed the recent CPAC polling at the weekend. Trump got 69% and DeSantis got 24% for presidential nomination preference. All recent Primaries where candidates got endorsed by Trump, all won.

But just getting back to the main topic, the current U.S Attorney General, Merrick Garland, approved these FBI searches, who is Merrick Garland?

He was President Obama’s Supreme Court Justice Nominee in 2016, however, the Republican controlled Senate refused to hold his confirmation and his nomination expired just before President Obama left office and Trump took office, then nominating one of his own picks, Neil Gorsuch. I bet that made Garland pissed off a tad and is now, if I’m being cynical, asserting revenge. Just too convenient in my eyes.

As for classified information, a former president maintains clearance, still gets briefings, it’s how they agree to store that intelligence that matters.

Quote:

2.2 Access to classified information by historical researchers, former Treasury Presidential and Vice Presidential appointees, and former Presidents and Vice Presidents.
(a) Access to classified information may be granted only to individuals who have a need-to-know the information. This requirement may be waived, however, for individuals who:

(1) Are engaged in historical research projects;

(2) Previously occupied a position in the Treasury to which they were appointed by the President under 3 U.S.C. 105(a)(2)(A), or the Vice President under 3 U.S.C. 106(a)(1)(A); or

(3) Served as President or Vice President.

TheDaddy 09-08-2022 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36130688)
The White House was not forewarned so I doubt he knew in advance either.

Don't bet on the governor not knowing, maybe he did, maybe he didn't, it'll leak out eventually if he did and that could make things even more interesting

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36130691)
You obviously missed the recent CPAC polling at the weekend. Trump got 69% and DeSantis got 24% for presidential nomination preference. All recent Primaries where candidates got endorsed by Trump, all won.

But just getting back to the main topic, the current U.S Attorney General, Merrick Garland, approved these FBI searches, who is Merrick Garland?

He was President Obama’s Supreme Court Justice Nominee in 2016, however, the Republican controlled Senate refused to hold his confirmation and his nomination expired just before President Obama left office and Trump took office, then nominating one of his own picks, Neil Gorsuch. I bet that made Garland pissed off a tad and is now, if I’m being cynical, asserting revenge. Just too convenient in my eyes.

As for classified information, a former president maintains clearance, still gets briefings, it’s how they agree to store that intelligence that matters.

The head of the fbi is a trump appointee iirc as is no doubt the judge who approved the warrent a republican appointee

Mick 09-08-2022 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36130692)
Don't bet on the governor not knowing, maybe he did, maybe he didn't, it'll leak out eventually if he did and that could make things even more interesting

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

The head of the fbi is a trump appointee iirc as is no doubt the judge who approved the warrent a republican appointee

Would still need approval from U.S Attorney General to search the home of a former President.