Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Freesat & Freeview (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   UKTV channels potentially coming to Freeview? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711103)

Rillington 11-06-2022 16:01

UKTV channels potentially coming to Freeview?

There is some speculation that UKTV might move the rest of its pay channels - Eden, Alibi and GOLD - to free-to-air platforms, including Freeview. Do people think this is likely to happen?

Media Boy UK 11-06-2022 20:30

Re: UKTV channels potentially coming to Freeview?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36124973)
There is some speculation that UKTV might move the rest of its pay channels - Eden, Alibi and GOLD - to free-to-air platforms, including Freeview. Do people think this is likely to happen?

I was told when UKTV launch W on Freeview that UKTV wants Alibi and GOLD to join Freeview - using both Drama +1 and Dave Ja Vu slots.

I was told at a time that UKTV are thinking of merge Eden into Yesterday on all networks.

https://twitter.com/MediaBoyUK/statu...94989049610248

Rillington 12-06-2022 15:11

Thank you for the information MB. They have the slots so let's see if they decide to launch them on FV.

Mr K 12-06-2022 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36125055)
Thank you for the information MB. They have the slots so let's see if they decide to launch them on FV.

Be good if they do.
VM (and Sky) wouldn't be pleased. Might have to review whether I need an expensive tv package any longer. All my favourite channels seem to be on Freeview.

Aguero9320 01-08-2022 19:27

Could it be worth GOLD and Drama into a single channel? Both channels air older shows from the BBC’s library, and have mostly repeats of the same stuff outside of prime time. Drama’s content could air in the daytime schedule, with Gold having the lucrative evening slots.

Media Boy UK 01-08-2022 21:11

The UKTV listings is mad sometime.

I have seen Comedy shows on GOLD (UKTV's Comedy channel) and Yesterday and Drama.

The Bill on Drama and W (and not Ailbi?)

cheekyangus 01-08-2022 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36130070)
Could it be worth GOLD and Drama into a single channel? Both channels air older shows from the BBC’s library, and have mostly repeats of the same stuff outside of prime time. Drama’s content could air in the daytime schedule, with Gold having the lucrative evening slots.

Drama gets much higher ratings than GOLD.

UKTV aren't going to want to merge channels when they get significantly more combined ratings keeping them separate. And they are more likely to make something FTA first, if it isn't already, as that usually leads to a sizable ratings bump.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36130080)
The UKTV listings is mad sometime.

I have seen Comedy shows on GOLD (UKTV's Comedy channel) and Yesterday and Drama.

The Bill on Drama and W (and not Ailbi?)

Yesterday started showing other genres so that it could be in General Entertainment section rather than Factual, and therefore in a more prominent EPG slot.

Media Boy UK 01-08-2022 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36130084)
Drama gets much higher ratings than GOLD.

UKTV aren't going to want to merge channels when they get significantly more combined ratings keeping them separate. And they are more likely to make something FTA first, if it isn't already, as that usually leads to a sizable ratings bump.

Yesterday started showing other genres so that it could be in General Entertainment section rather than Factual, and therefore in a mote prominent EPG slot.

Virgin did move Yesterday into General Entertainment in 2018.

Rillington 02-08-2022 15:15

It's always seemed odd to me that a factual history channel shows sitcoms.

cheekyangus 02-08-2022 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36130132)
It's always seemed odd to me that a factual history channel shows sitcoms.

It's purposefully a General Entertainment channel for the reasons I said above.

Itshim 02-08-2022 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36125067)
Be good if they do.
VM (and Sky) wouldn't be pleased. Might have to review whether I need an expensive tv package any longer. All my favourite channels seem to be on Freeview.

Would have done this by now except that the price I pay is so close to just having bb on its own but never say never, smart tv give every thing I need :erm:

cheekyangus 03-08-2022 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36130163)
Would have done this by now except that the price I pay is so close to just having bb on its own but never say never, smart tv give every thing I need :erm:

Until your manufacturer or the app provider stops supporting your TV...then it's buy a new TV or streaming stick time.

Itshim 03-08-2022 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36130221)
Until your manufacturer or the app provider stops supporting your TV...then it's buy a new TV or streaming stick time.

Hasn't happened in all the years I've had smart TV's perhaps I am just lucky , however freeview and os will do the job . Starting to think virgins boxes days are numbered , but not in my lifetime:D

granada_tv 14-09-2022 15:11

I recall on another tv forum, which shall remain unmentioned, that they did not like discussion of speculation on UKGOLD potentially joining the freeview service. I do wonder if gold will launch, it would be a nice addition, as I really would prefer not to bother with now or something just to get it.

Rillington 28-09-2022 17:55

I think most Freeview users would welcome the arrival of GOLD to Freeview.