Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The energy crisis (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710394)

Jaymoss 22-09-2021 18:01

The energy crisis

This one stuffs me as it means my bills will almost double 6 months earlier than I had hoped. It will stuff a lot of people tbh

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...thing-you-nee/

Chris 22-09-2021 18:07

Re: Avro and Green Cease Trading

I suspect I'll be needing to update the thread title before too long ... these may be the first to go to the wall thanks to the runaway price of wholesale gas, but they're unlikely to be the last.

papa smurf 22-09-2021 18:08

We'll soon be at net zero once no one can afford to turn on the lights and heating.

Paul 22-09-2021 18:47

Its all come at a bad time for me, my (very good) deal with ESB expires in October.

I'm looking at a move to Bulb (Yes, I am aware they are suffering as well) but atm, they look one of the better choices, everyones deals have rocketed.

Hugh 22-09-2021 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36094041)
Its all come at a bad time for me, my (very good) deal with ESB expires in October.

I'm looking at a move to Bulb (Yes, I am aware they are suffering as well) but atm, they look one of the better choices, everyones deals have rocketed.

I was with Bulb for about 16 months - started off well, then had two large price increases in 12 months; I moved after the 2nd one to Shell (who have since then dropped our DD by £15 per month).

Mad Max 22-09-2021 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36094043)
I was with Bulb for about 16 months - started off well, then had two large price increases in 12 months; I moved after the 2nd one to Shell (who have since then dropped our DD by £15 per month).

Same here, I found Bulb to be very good at first, but as you said they increased their prices pretty quickly, so I just moved.

Inactive Digital 22-09-2021 19:42

I left Avro in July and they were due to refund my credit balance of £250 last week. Of course that payment never arrived and when I contacted them on Tuesday they advised I'd receive it by the end of this week. I switched to PFP, who went bust a couple of weeks ago. I have a credit balance of £150 with them :banghead:

I'm now being switched to British Gas as the supplier of last resort. I'm sticking with them as a big brand that hopefully won't go bust anytime soon. It doesn't sound as though many of the challenger brands will be around by the end of winter.

Pierre 22-09-2021 19:43

I’m with “look after my bills” and just switch to Green last month. Luckily I got my credit rebate back from the previous supplier so I’m not out any money. The only decision I have to make now is to cancel my DD? Which I think I will do. I’m not going to get cut off. I’ll take a meter reading in the morning and cancel my DD and await further instructions.

SnoopZ 22-09-2021 20:09

Bulb is still very good for me compared to when I was on Eon.

Jaymoss 22-09-2021 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36094048)
I left Avro in July and they were due to refund my credit balance of £250 last week. Of course that payment never arrived and when I contacted them on Tuesday they advised I'd receive it by the end of this week. I switched to PFP, who went bust a couple of weeks ago. I have a credit balance of £150 with them :banghead:

I'm now being switched to British Gas as the supplier of last resort. I'm sticking with them as a big brand that hopefully won't go bust anytime soon. It doesn't sound as though many of the challenger brands will be around by the end of winter.

are they trying to force a smart meter on you ?

Inactive Digital 22-09-2021 20:43

No, I don't think they can force one as a supplier of last resort as I've not agreed to one. I'm sure they will be keen to install one and start pestering me at some point though.

pip08456 22-09-2021 21:33

Info from OFGEN for those affected.
Quote:

ofgem
@ofgem
·
24m
Avro Energy and Green Supply Limited have ceased trading.

If you’re a customer, please don’t worry - you can rely on your energy supply as normal.

We will now switch you to a new supplier. More info on what happens next:https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information...Green_supplier

Jimmy-J 22-09-2021 21:37

If you're eligible, you might be able to claim £140 towards your winter energy bills. Here's a list of suppliers that let you apply for it. The Warm Home Discount...

List of suppliers

Jaymoss 22-09-2021 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy-J (Post 36094070)
If you're eligible, you might be able to claim £140 towards your winter energy bills. Here's a list of suppliers that let you apply for it. The Warm Home Discount...

List of suppliers

yeah but if you have to apply you have to have been a customer in July meaning anyone forced to move could well be stuffed with not only higher bills but the loss of this also. I usually get it but I am assuming this year will be a real struggle

Jimmy-J 22-09-2021 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36094072)
yeah but if you have to apply you have to have been a customer in July meaning anyone forced to move could well be stuffed with not only higher bills but the loss of this also. I usually get it but I am assuming this year will be a real struggle

Some of the suppliers have already closed the option to apply for it this year. But I suggest people still apply with their energy company. It's a limited amount of funding they have, so be quick. It's a massive help.