Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Internet Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Just because ---- openreach, sky , talk talk etc (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710908)

Itshim 21-03-2022 17:24

Just because ---- openreach, sky , talk talk etc

Because l am curious nothing more . Understand that internet , other that virgin and like providers. Come to your property via openreach line. At what point does it actually become under the control of the provider . Thinking it goes to local exchange , still openreach or do they all have there own kit? Is it switched out at that point :dunce:. Thinking gas electric etc

Taf 21-03-2022 17:40

Re: Just because ---- openreach, sky , talk talk etc

When it's billing time?

Jaymoss 21-03-2022 17:42

Most internet providers on the UK use the Openreach network. As far as I am aware only cable companies do not

Itshim 21-03-2022 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36117214)
Most internet providers on the UK use the Openreach network. As far as I am aware only cable companies do not

That I understand the question was at what point is it the providers equipment not openreach's :confused:

Jaymoss 21-03-2022 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36117219)
That I understand the question was at what point is it the providers equipment not openreach's :confused:

as far as I am aware never

Itshim 22-03-2022 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36117227)

Ok so what is the reason people in the same area have problem and others don't if the kit is the same for both:confused:

Jaymoss 22-03-2022 17:08

Hell of a lot of lines all sorts of things can go wrong . Same thing could be said of a virgin media user.

Pierre 22-03-2022 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36117227)

That’s incorrect. There are several permutations broadband providers can use when using OpenReach’s Network. Much in the same way MVNOs work.

The best one (most independent one) is where the provider simply uses the cable from the exchange to the property (be that copper/fibre or a mixture of both), with everything else being broadband providers. The equipment in the exchange (DSLAM), the backhaul core network etc.

It is very possible for one provider to provide a better service over the OpenReach network than another. The only thing guaranteed to be the same for all is the cable distance and the limitations around that.

Things like the contention ratio, or if there is a cable damage, issue on the backhaul network, the vendor equipment (ie, who manufactures the DSLAM, some are better than others)

All that said, in regards to speed on OpenReach, you’ll pretty much get the same from anyone when it works. Reliability, customer service etc can vary……..a lot. Especially “reliability”.

Jaymoss 22-03-2022 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36117303)
That’s incorrect. There are several permutations broadband providers can use when using OpenReach’s Network. Much in the same way MVNOs work.

The best one (most independent one) is where the provider simply uses the cable from the exchange to the property (be that copper/fibre or a mixture of both), with everything else being broadband providers. The equipment in the exchange (DSLAM), the backhaul core network etc.

It is very possible for one provider to provide a better service over the OpenReach network than another. The only thing guaranteed to be the same for all is the cable distance and the limitations around that.

Things like the contention ratio, or if there is a cable damage, issue on the backhaul network, the vendor equipment (ie, who manufactures the DSLAM, some are better than others)

All that said, in regards to speed on OpenReach, you’ll pretty much get the same from anyone when it works. Reliability, customer service etc can vary……..a lot. Especially “reliability”.

Thanks. My knowledge on this subject is limited. I am quite shocked it took so long for someone on a forum of this type with more knowledge than myself to post

pip08456 22-03-2022 22:47

1 Attachment(s)
FTTC does not have a DSLM in the exchange, that is ADSL and would be an LLU exchange.
FTTC has an SVLAN in the exchange that routes traffic to the relevant ISP for them to further route it via thair network.

That said a lot of ISP's networks are via Openreach leased firbre optic lines thanks to Colossus.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...9&d=1647985506

Pierre 22-03-2022 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36117309)
FTTC does not have a DSLM in the exchange, that is ADSL and would be an LLU exchange.
FTTC has an SVLAN in the exchange that routes traffic to the relevant ISP for them to further route it via thair network.

That said a lot of ISP's networks are via Openreach leased firbre optic lines thanks to Colossus.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...9&d=1647985506

DSLAM, MSAN, MSIL….. whatever. The point I was making is that not all services over OpenReach by other providers are not the same. I wasn’t trying to give a masterclass, but feel free to give one yourself.

Itshim 24-03-2022 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36117315)
DSLAM, MSAN, MSIL….. whatever. The point I was making is that not all services over OpenReach by other providers are not the same. I wasn’t trying to give a masterclass, but feel free to give one yourself.

Sory but I still have no idea at what point say talk talk , merge what they provide with everyone else ?

pip08456 24-03-2022 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36117412)
Sory but I still have no idea at what point say talk talk , merge what they provide with everyone else ?

At the exchange VSLAN.

Paul 24-03-2022 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36117412)

That isnt what you asked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36117219)

Generally, the only equipment belonging to the provider is the router they give you.

Itshim 25-03-2022 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36117422)
That isnt what you asked.

Generally, the only equipment belonging to the provider is the router they give you.

What I was curious about is this , electricity is provided by whom ever you buy it from but it is not what you get to use. So buy green does not mean you get green. Try to put my first question as simply as I can. Sign with say Vodafone , you pay them but at what point do they and their kit,( on leaving or entering your house ) take control .router excluded. The pole is openreach as is I guess the exchange , does it then get separated and sent on to them ? Or is it just all done by openreach ? And really just down to them to do all the "hard" wiring / sending it around the internet :confused: