Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised' (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703838)

Arthurgray50@blu 24-10-2016 22:26

Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised'

http://news.sky.com/story/bakers-who...mised-10631205

I believe that businesses should run the company as it seems fit. This couple had there Christian beliefs and stuck by them.

I find it literally stupid that someone should take a case to court to challenge that right.

I am certainly NOT against Gay Marriage. I believe that if they love each other, then that is fine.

The only people that have made anything out of this are Lawyers. Made richer

But this couple stuck by there beliefs - and lost. Which is a shame

martyh 24-10-2016 22:46

Re: Its up to the Individual

This is the same principle as the Christian B&B owners ,in a business environment it's not really up to the individual it's what the law states that counts

rogerdraig 24-10-2016 22:50

As a christian ( some here know which flavor ) i don't see why they refused you have to be impartial in business as with anything where they are not of your faith

Galatians 3:28

James 2:1-4

Romans 1:14

Matthew 5:43-48

Matthew 7:1

denphone 25-10-2016 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35865469)
This is the same principle as the Christian B&B owners ,in a business environment it's not really up to the individual it's what the law states that counts

Exactly and they broke the law at the end of the day.

1701-e 25-10-2016 09:38

They openly bake and sell cakes with witches etc on them. Surely the worship of pagan icons is against their beliefs. Selective as to whom they offend.
They got caught out breaking the law.
Perhaps they will be more Christian to ALL others in the future.

Stephen 25-10-2016 10:17

Re: Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised'

It's not up to the individual at all!!

They are a business and should run it as one, no singling out certain customers. Whats next they refuse to make a cake because it has Muslim writings or Protestant wording?

Jeez

Chris 25-10-2016 10:35

Oddly enough, that well known conservative gay-hater Peter Tatchell thinks this judgment is unfair.

The bakers argued that they did not refuse service based on the customer's sexuality, but because they wished not to associate with his political campaign to redefine legal marriage in Northern Ireland. They argued that had he just wanted any cake, they would have happily served him.

This isn't the same as the Christian B&B owners who refused to sell a gay couple a double room because they were not a married, heterosexual couple. In that case, their refusal of service was clearly discrimination due to sexuality, which is against the law.

The appeal court has concluded that the law as it stands is against the actions of the bakers. If that is the case, only legislation can now change the situation. Clearly there are some veteran equality campaigners who now say the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction; that equality and free speech for everyone under the law cannot be used as a motive for inhibiting conscience.

A line has to be drawn somewhere, between treating each other fairly and not compelling each other to act against conscience. Exactly where that line should be .... well, discuss ...

nomadking 25-10-2016 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35865511)
It's not up to the individual at all!!

They are a business and should run it as one, no singling out certain customers. Whats next they refuse to make a cake because it has Muslim writings or Protestant wording?

Jeez

How were they singling out the customers? It was the content they objected to, NOT the customers. They would have made the SAME decision if the customers had been heterosexual.

It doesn't take much to come up with countless examples of where somebody would find something or other offensive. As always it is a matter of who is the "offended" party as to whether anybody takes the slightest notice. Isn't that discrimination? Before this case arose, I have no doubt that a LGBTQ(and so on) business would've refused an anti-gay marriage message.

The B&B owners objected to them being in the same room together, just as they would with any other unmarried couple. They were ok with them being in separate rooms, but none were available.

tweetiepooh 25-10-2016 11:45

A danger coming here is that there will be those of any point of view who will then "target" a business with owners that have an opposing view. They will request a service counter to the owner's view and then bring charges if refused. The business (probably) shouldn't refuse service because of customer's view but that doesn't follow they can't if their own view is to be compromised.

For the cake issue, there are other bakers who would welcome such a commission. It's not like the refusal of one baker would deny the customer their cake.

You wouldn't charge a halal or kosher butcher for refusing to sell pork. If you went to such a butcher it would be understood they don't deal in pig products though I think Muslims can cook/sell pork just not eat it, look at the number or Muslim burger sellers who do have bacon burger on the menu.

Kursk 25-10-2016 12:54

It would have been a thoughtful touch in support of gay marriage if the bakers had the two muppets engaged in buggery on top of the cake.

But seriously, this court decision is a precedent fraught with dangers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerdraig (Post 35865471)
As a christian ( some here know which flavor ) i don't see why they refused you have to be impartial in business as with anything where they are not of your faith

Galatians 3:28

James 2:1-4

Romans 1:14

Matthew 5:43-48

Matthew 7:1

You missed out Leviticus Chapter 18/22

RizzyKing 25-10-2016 13:04

I think there is a degree of over compensation coming into equality that is just as dangerous as out and out inequality and whilst public businesses are limited by law how they can operate we're meant to be a free and democratic society. People must be able to abide by some personal beliefs even in business and unless they are the only provider of a service in a given area a customer that asks for something that they can get elsewhere should just go elsewhere not to the nearest lawyer.

Chris 25-10-2016 13:17

Even the Grauniad thinks this was the wrong decision.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ng-on-the-cake

Maggy 25-10-2016 13:21

I don't understand the mentality of some people.If one baker won't do what you ask there are others who will. There are always alternatives.

Hom3r 25-10-2016 22:43

So a business can refuse to serve you but not put a message that could offend your beliefs?

Arthurgray50@blu 25-10-2016 23:22

Maggy, total agree with you.
To me it doesn't make sense, or was this the couple wanted to try and prove a point.

I heard recently a radio programme, where someone was complaining about something rather stupid. And a guy said. Why don't people get a life. If one person doesn't serve you, go somewhere else - simples