Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Important: Your phone service is changing (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711644)

bbxxl 18-08-2023 10:42

Re: Important: Your phone service is changing

Only just found this thread.
I use my landline to phone my father every day. It worked Sunday and didn’t Monday so I rang from my mobile, last time I tried that a couple of years ago he couldn’t hear me which is why I use the landline. It still didn’t work Tuesday evening so I reported it Wednesday. Engineer came out and fixed it yesterday (a problem at the main box) and I mentioned about having to change to using the hub. He said they were rolling it out but didn’t seem to think it was imminent here.

Itshim 18-08-2023 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbxxl (Post 36158856)
Only just found this thread.
I use my landline to phone my father every day. It worked Sunday and didn’t Monday so I rang from my mobile, last time I tried that a couple of years ago he couldn’t hear me which is why I use the landline. It still didn’t work Tuesday evening so I reported it Wednesday. Engineer came out and fixed it yesterday (a problem at the main box) and I mentioned about having to change to using the hub. He said they were rolling it out but didn’t seem to think it was imminent here.

Have had 2 emails and even more texts telling me when it's happening and asking me to confirm it's ok . Haven't even got the phone connected anymore so really don't care :D

Taf 22-08-2023 21:02

The mud has cleared from my eyes and I now understand how the emergency backup system works. You have to keep it charged!

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Mr K 22-08-2023 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36159036)
The mud has cleared from my eyes and I now understand how the emergency backup system works. You have to keep it charged!

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

The instructions don't seem to mention a Hub2ac. I'll be gutted if I miss out on this 'upgrade' ;)

Paul 23-08-2023 01:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36159037)
The instructions don't seem to mention a Hub2ac. I'll be gutted if I miss out on this 'upgrade' ;)

The only thing you'll miss out on is having a phone line at all, it'll simply stop working.

Mr K 23-08-2023 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36159044)
The only thing you'll miss out on is having a phone line at all, it'll simply stop working.

Then I'll simply stop paying for a non existent phone service. They've never offered to upgrade my hub.

joglynne 23-08-2023 10:15

You could end up paying the same amount. Reducing the services you subscribe to may even increase what you pay as VM will be loosing the telephone rental.

BenMcr 23-08-2023 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36159047)
Then I'll simply stop paying for a non existent phone service. They've never offered to upgrade my hub.

You'll be told when you have to migrate and offered a Hub swap at that point.

Or if your current line stops working the fix will likely be the swap as it's increasingly difficult to fix the analogue lines.

Mr K 24-08-2023 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36159087)
You'll be told when you have to migrate and offered a Hub swap at that point.

Or if your current line stops working the fix will likely be the swap as it's increasingly difficult to fix the analogue lines.

Thanks for that info. Will they also be offering to rewire phone extensions throught the house or is that something I'll have to chase/ do myself?

It is a downgrade whichever you look at it. Landlines are a lot less robust as result. I just dislike the term 'upgrade' when it's clearly not.

SnoopZ 24-08-2023 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36159100)
Thanks for that info. Will they also be offering to rewire phone extensions throught the house or is that something I'll have to chase/ do myself?

It is a downgrade whichever you look at it. Landlines are a lot less robust as result. I just dislike the term 'upgrade' when it's clearly not.

When my line became faulty at the exchange I had to move my landline phone and put it next to the hub.

techguyone 24-08-2023 10:43

I've had to move my main landline next to the hub, however with it being a DECT system the other units can still remain where they are.

It's another annoyance deigned to save VM money and make landlines worse. First it was mobiles using 'Wi-Fi calling' because in many places the mobile signal is shocking (my own address included) so now if my internet is down I can't use my mobile.
And now, they've done the same with Landlines. Marvellous isn't it. Upgrade my arse.

BenMcr 24-08-2023 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36159112)
First it was mobiles using 'Wi-Fi calling' because in many places the mobile signal is shocking (my own address included) so now if my internet is down I can't use my mobile.

Voice over WiFi is part of a mobile spec that also includes Voice over LTE - it moves the voice calls to IP delivery and means you can continue to make voice calls once 2G and 3G signals get switched off.

Quote:

And now, they've done the same with Landlines. Marvellous isn't it. Upgrade my arse.
I'd be interested in knowing how you'd expect Openreach or Virgin Media to provide analogue phone services using kit that no-one is making spare parts for or over a full fibre-to-the-Hub connection.

techguyone 24-08-2023 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36159113)
Voice over WiFi is part of a mobile spec that also includes Voice over LTE - it moves the voice calls to IP delivery and means you can continue to make voice calls once 2G and 3G signals get switched off.

I'd be interested in knowing how you'd expect Openreach or Virgin Media to provide analogue phone services using kit that no-one is making spare parts for or over a full fibre-to-the-Hub connection.

Yea I get all that, it doesn't get away from the fact the service is less resilient and useful as a result though. Lose the broadband connection, lose everything.

SnoopZ 24-08-2023 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36159114)
Yea I get all that, it doesn't get away from the fact the service is less resilient and useful as a result though. Lose the broadband connection, lose everything.

Can you not change mobile provider for better signal?

techguyone 24-08-2023 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36159116)
Can you not change mobile provider for better signal?

Sadly no, it's a black spot, it's not even rural.