Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709417)

Taf 10-10-2021 18:49

Re: Coronavirus

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36096903)
The flu jab gives me flu.

This year will see the 50th consecutive year that I've had a 'flu jab. And I've never had 'flu or even mild side effects from the jabs, apart from local tenderness for a day.

@joglynne I went through the list, and it's only our local Tesco (fully booked) and one branch of Lloyds (fully booked). A private clinic will be offering them "once supplies stabilise", but ASDA has said no plans to offer them again this year. Boots' booking system doesn't work.

Mad Max 10-10-2021 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36096906)
This year will see the 50th consecutive year that I've had a 'flu jab. And I've never had 'flu or even mild side effects from the jabs, apart from local tenderness for a day.

@joglynne I went through the list, and it's only our local Tesco (fully booked) and one branch of Lloyds (fully booked). A private clinic will be offering them "once supplies stabilise", but ASDA has said no plans to offer them again this year. Boots' booking system doesn't work.

So you started getting the jab when you were 15? Why so young?

joglynne 10-10-2021 19:36

Quote:

WOW
Quote:

I went through the list, and it's only our local Tesco (fully booked) and one branch of Lloyds (fully booked). A private clinic will be offering them "once supplies stabilise", but ASDA has said no plans to offer them again this year. Boots' booking system doesn't work.

That is terrible Taf, we have so many places to get the flu jab that a couple of chemists near us are doing walk in jabs rather than doing appointments.

Our GP has not received any supplies so he's not as yet involved in the flu jabs and this has freed up his staff to do a concerted mop up operation for those patients who they have been identified as still needing/wanting their 1st, 2nd or 3rd/booster covid jabs.

:erm: I do have to wonder if having the 5th highest rate of infections in England has maybe prompted my area, Trafford, to get so many supplies of both the flu and covid vaccinations.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...m_medium=email

Paul 10-10-2021 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36096903)
The flu jab gives me flu.

No it doesnt.

It might give you flu like symptoms as your body reacts to it, but thats all.

Sephiroth 11-10-2021 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36096954)
No it doesnt.

It might give you flu like symptoms as your body reacts to it, but thats all.

Of course, you're right and I knew it. But it's pretty unpleasant. No reaction from Covid jab, though.

1andrew1 11-10-2021 09:18

Quote:

Boots' booking system doesn't work.

It worked for me on Friday so might be worth trying again. I booked one for today.

OLD BOY 11-10-2021 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36096979)
It worked for me on Friday so might be worth trying again. I booked one for today.

And me, it worked fine. Maybe it’s different in darkest Wales! ;)

Paul 11-10-2021 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36096997)
And me, it worked fine. Maybe it’s different in darkest Wales! ;)

It also worked for me, I booked mine at my local boots last week [ok].

Taf 11-10-2021 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36096919)
So you started getting the jab when you were 15? Why so young?

RAF entry, barely 16, then we had to keep all our jabs up-to-date in case of overseas deployment. One of the first sessions was the old sugar cube (polio?) and 6 jabs in one minute. Then the rest of the day off.... bliss.

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

I chatted with the Tesco Pharmacist today. They had agreed a set number of 'flu jabs for each week. The first week only half arrived, ditto the second, The third week less than a quarter was supplied. Their online booking system is in a total mess, so has now been closed until the correct number of doses arrive and the backlog cleared.

I was told that Boots and Lloyds are in the same boat.

Hugh 11-10-2021 18:02

After we got the 6 jabs, we went on a 5 mile run (Swinderby 74).

After that, half the Entry lay in bed feeling poorly, the rest of us went to the NAAFI.

Taf 11-10-2021 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36097097)
After we got the 6 jabs, we went on a 5 mile run (Swinderby 74).

After that, half the Entry lay in bed feeling poorly, the rest of us went to the NAAFI.

We were more genteel (Locking Craft Apprentices 72). ;)

The only jab that gave me any grief, ever, was the one injected just under the skin to form a half-inch bubble. The site became massively itchy in minutes, and that persisted for hours.

jfman 11-10-2021 18:38

The Guardian have an article with some country comparisons of the current state of play with vaccinations, cases and deaths.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...al-and-eastern

The extremely good news is that it’s probably safer to go on holiday than hang around here. I’d maybe wear a mask for the flight though just in case.

Paul 11-10-2021 19:06

Why is it "safer".
Wear a mask in case of what ?
What are you afraid of exactly ?

Infection rates as such dont mean much on their own.
The real issue is serious illness (hospitalisations) and/or deaths.

It doesnt matter if the whole country is infected, if almost everyone just shakes it off.
Most of the country gets infected by colds every year, but we just shake it off, no big deal.

Sephiroth 11-10-2021 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36097105)
Why is it "safer".

It doesnt matter if the whole country is infected, if almost everyone just shakes it off.
Most of the country gets infected by colds every year, but we just shake it off, no big deal.

Wouldn't it be useful if the Guvmin would come out with that sort of common sense? But they can't, being backed into a corner by the doomsters among their advisers to the extent that most people think that Covid is doom. I think that Boris would like to, but the lawyers are probbly holding him off.

OLD BOY 11-10-2021 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36097105)
Why is it "safer".

Absolutely right, Paul. So many people still don’t get it, and concentrate on the number of infections rather than the number of hospitalisations.