Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Mira Showers (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710922)

alanbjames 29-03-2022 14:26

Mira Showers

I'm having a bathroom conversion done and the engineers have mentioned they will be fitting a Mira branded shower.

The one i have at the moment is 10 years old and a Triton I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with Mira branded showers?

Thanks.

Chris 29-03-2022 14:43

Re: Mira Showers

The differences between electric showers really are their power consumption and cost of spare parts. Higher power consumption basically means better water flow at any given temperature. Cost of spares is self explanatory. I guess you can add to that, how often you’re likely to need spares.

Sadly I can’t offer you any specific insight into Mira or Triton units, however I can caution you against making generalisations - I have two Gainsborough units in my house (the brand is now owned by Aqualisa) and one of them hasn’t needed anything doing to it in 20 years while the other one has had its guts replaced 3 times. They aren’t the same model, which tends to suggest some of their designs are weaker than others.

Ken W 29-03-2022 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36117703)
I'm having a bathroom conversion done and the engineers have mentioned they will be fitting a Mira branded shower.

The one i have at the moment is 10 years old and a Triton I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with Mira branded showers?

Thanks.

I have had a Triton and a Mira, the Mira was installed by the folk that fitted my bathroom.

Saul's Grandad 29-03-2022 16:06

We have had both Triton and Mira showers and all have been fine. Previously we had electric showers but the current one is a Mira mixer shower which is great. There was a slight issue just after it was fitted, where it made a strange squealing noise in operation but Mira sent an engineer out to fix it promptly and it has been good since.

cheekyangus 29-03-2022 16:16

We've had a Mira shower for ages. No complaints.

Taf 29-03-2022 17:13

The council fitted 5kw Mira showers, but I turned one down and fitted a Triton 8kw one myself. They all get cold dribbles, I get full flow hot showers.

The council guy that does the safety checks told me that the Miras were underrated and people were unhappy. But he said that they last as long the other brands.

Hugh 29-03-2022 17:54

We’ve had Mira and Triton, and we were happy with both makes.

Had a Triton AS2000SR installed at the beginning of the year to the en-suite, and really happy with it - it’s very (very) quiet, compared to every other shower we’ve had.

GrimUpNorth 29-03-2022 21:02

We've had a Mira Honesty ERD mixer shower for 3 years and while it's not electric it's a great bit of kit. Would buy it again.

Halcyon 30-03-2022 09:49

We have the Mira Sport shower and it is great.

Paul 31-03-2022 00:42

I had a Mira installed 6 years ago, its been perfectly fine.

livelysprite 13-04-2022 21:47

I have a mira shower that the council fitted 10 years ago. The temperature control broke a few years ago, the little plastic cogs inside just broke. Now I have to take the shower cover off to adjust the temperature manually (switching off at the mains first). If you have gas, get a mixer shower. It will be a lot cheaper than an electric shower.

Off topic, when I was in b&Q recently, a man and his wife ( from pakistan I think) came up to me and showed me a photograph of his bathroom wall with a big hole in the wall and a shower pipe in the hole. He asked me what to use to fill the hole in with. I don't work in b&Q but I didn't mind helping him. I said I didn't know if you could just fill it in with plaster as the pipe might crack and he might need to put some foam insulation around the pipe first to allow expansion and contraction before putting plaster in the hole. I told him to ask b&Q staff and later I saw him at the checkout with a bucket of ready mixed fire cement.

Mr K 13-04-2022 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by livelysprite (Post 36119098)
I have a mira shower that the council fitted 10 years ago. The temperature control broke a few years ago, the little plastic cogs inside just broke. Now I have to take the shower cover off to adjust the temperature manually (switching off at the mains first). If you have gas, get a mixer shower. It will be a lot cheaper than an electric shower.

Advantage of an electric shower, is that if your gas boiler breaks, you can still get warm water.

alanbjames 16-04-2022 01:30

In the end after everything they ended up fitting a Triton Omnicare 9.6kw as it was cheaper at trade at the time. So far so good at the moment.