Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Edge Browser (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710544)

Ken W 13-11-2021 14:39

Edge Browser

I am using Windows 10
I find some web pages are slow to load compared to IE, is this normal?

Jaymoss 13-11-2021 15:03

Re: browser edge

depends on what you have loading with it. Edge is Chromium based now so pretty much the same as chrome but there are better versions such as Brave which I use. Vivaldi is another good option

idi banashapan 13-11-2021 15:35

A bit more info is needed. It's akin to saying "When I put my foot down when driving, sometimes the car speeds up quickly, others times it takes ages". Well, are you towing something? Is it icy and you're not getting traction? Did you put a high quality/octane fuel in one time and not the other? Did you put you foot all the way to the floor each time? And so on...

Always give as much info as you can otherwise helping is pretty tricky.
  1. Are your speedtests consistent when things are fast and slow to load?
  2. Is anyone / anything else causing heavy network utilisation at the time you see slowdowns?
  3. Is you machine running any background tasks such as AV scans or updates when things get slow?
  4. Do you have any other applications open when it slows down that might be using resources?
  5. Are the pages you are loading the same between faster and slower load times?
  6. Are you using the same machine when testing, albeit both are windows 10?

I could go on, but you get the point. We don't even know which browsers you are comparing.

Ken W 13-11-2021 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by idi banashapan (Post 36101010)
A bit more info is needed. It's akin to saying "When I put my foot down when driving, sometimes the car speeds up quickly, others times it takes ages". Well, are you towing something? Is it icy and you're not getting traction? Did you put a high quality/octane fuel in one time and not the other? Did you put you foot all the way to the floor each time? And so on...

Always give as much info as you can otherwise helping is pretty tricky.
  1. Are your speedtests consistent when things are fast and slow to load?
  2. Is anyone / anything else causing heavy network utilisation at the time you see slowdowns?
  3. Is you machine running any background tasks such as AV scans or updates when things get slow?
  4. Do you have any other applications open when it slows down that might be using resources?
  5. Are the pages you are loading the same between faster and slower load times?
  6. Are you using the same machine when testing, albeit both are windows 10?

I could go on, but you get the point. We don't even know which browsers you are comparing.

I am comparing Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, nothing running in the background and the same web adresses

Corey N Georgie 13-11-2021 18:05

Re: Edge Browser

Try switching to Firefox see if the issue clears up?

Jaymoss 13-11-2021 18:53

thing is IE and Edge are totally different browsers so seeing a difference is not a surprise

Dude111 13-11-2021 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W
I am using Windows 10
I find some web pages are slow to load compared to IE, is this normal?

Hi Ken :)

Check what the MAX CONNECTIONS/MAX CONNECTIONS PER SERVER is set to on your Edge browser.....

Im on IE6 and mine orginally was 2 and it was QUITE SLOW........ In 2004 I saw a thread about how someone with Firefox changed thier max connections to 48 and it made a huge difference so I tried it on IE6 and man I tell ya,the difference is insane!!!!

Now I dont think ANY SERVER will allow more than 20 connections at once but having it set to 48 shouldnt hurt as its over 20.. All I know is it is a huge difference!!

Why they ever had it at 2 is unreal!! (Thats what IE6 is set to by default)

Im curious what Edge is set to before you make any changes??

Good luck!

BenMcr 14-11-2021 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 36101022)
I am comparing Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, nothing running in the background and the same web adresses

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36101047)
thing is IE and Edge are totally different browsers so seeing a difference is not a surprise

You're also likely to get a more complex site experience if you use Edge compared to IE so those features can take extra time to render.

Halcyon 16-11-2021 10:32

Any Microsoft Browser is the devil of browsers in my opinion!

And Google Chrome isnt great either with it's demands to hog all memory.

Firefox is the winner for me.

Sirius 16-11-2021 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36101431)
Any Microsoft Browser is the devil of browsers in my opinion!

And Google Chrome isnt great either with it's demands to hog all memory.

Indeed, i will use any addon that stops it from taking over my desktop.

Itshim 16-11-2021 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36101431)
Any Microsoft Browser is the devil of browsers in my opinion

My second choice , duck duck go is my first choice . With VPN and bit defender.

Jaymoss 16-11-2021 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36101488)
My second choice , duck duck go is my first choice . With VPN and bit defender.

on Windows as far as I aware Duck Duck Go is search engine and not a browser. I know they have an app but do not think they have a PC browser

Ken W 16-11-2021 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36101195)
You're also likely to get a more complex site experience if you use Edge compared to IE so those features can take extra time to render.

I am sure that you are corrct

pip08456 16-11-2021 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36101490)
on Windows as far as I aware Duck Duck Go is search engine and not a browser. I know they have an app but do not think they have a PC browser

Yes, it's just a browser extention on PC.

Halcyon 17-11-2021 14:31

I add AdBlock Plus and never have to worry about adverts again.