Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   MonkeyPox (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711063)

Mick 22-05-2022 15:36

MonkeyPox

Quote:

Monkeypox is spreading in the UK through community transmission and new cases are being detected on a daily basis, a senior doctor has warned.

Officials are expecting a "significant rise" in infections this week after it was confirmed the total had increased to 20 on Friday.

The cause of the outbreak is unknown and there is "no obvious connection" between those infected to a single event, according to Dr Susan Hopkins, from the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA).

Monkeypox is rarely identified outside of Africa, but 92 cases have now been confirmed across Europe, North America and Australia, with a further 28 suspected infections, according to the World Health Organization.
https://news.sky.com/story/monkeypox...octor-12618792

Hom3r 22-05-2022 16:57

Re: MonkeyPox

I'm just waiting for the covid deniers to come out of their hole, and say this is something minor

heero_yuy 22-05-2022 17:02

I'm just waiting for the panic merchants to come out and tell us to hide in the cupboard under the stairs and wear full hazmat gear to go shopping. :rolleyes:

Mick 22-05-2022 17:10

Transmissibility is a lot lower than what COVID is. Is supposed to be more prevalent with skin to skin contact and they already have a vaccine. It’s not going to be the next pandemic.

Taf 22-05-2022 17:28

Those of us who had the smallpox vaccine before it was withdrawn in 71 have "some protection" from monkeypox.

Mick 22-05-2022 17:35

That said, Belgium has introduced mandatory 21 day quarantine for those who test positive.

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/monkeypox...belgium/300215

nffc 22-05-2022 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36123188)
That said, Belgium has introduced mandatory 21 day quarantine for those who test positive.

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/monkeypox...belgium/300215

How long is it going to be before someone tries the L word?

Some people will be calling for it at any opportunity now they've done it once.

nomadking 22-05-2022 18:06

Once you've caught it, vaccines are of no use.

jfman 22-05-2022 18:14

What's the herd immunity threshold?

Jaymoss 22-05-2022 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nffc (Post 36123194)
How long is it going to be before someone tries the L word?

Some people will be calling for it at any opportunity now they've done it once.

It is seriously unlikely to kill you or put a strain on the NHS so quite a bit different to Covid innit

Paul 22-05-2022 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36123178)
I'm just waiting for the covid deniers to come out of their hole, and say this is something minor

ATM, it *is* minor, nor is it in any way comparable with covid, its a lot (lot) harder to spread.
The largest previous outbreaks have been < 200 cases (its been around since the early 1970's).

Quote:

Experts say we are not on the brink of a national outbreak and, according to the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), the risk is low.
Quote:

Prof Jonathan Ball, professor of molecular virology, University of Nottingham, said: "The fact that only one of the 50 contacts of the initial monkeypox-infected patient has been infected shows how poorly infectious the virus is.
Technically it can be fatal, but then so can measles, but its very rare.

spiderplant 22-05-2022 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36123195)
Once you've caught it, vaccines are of no use.

Not true

"Vaccination after exposure to monkeypox virus is still possible. However, the sooner an exposed person gets the vaccine, the better.

CDC recommends that the vaccine be given within 4 days from the date of exposure in order to prevent onset of the disease. If given between 4–14 days after the date of exposure, vaccination may reduce the symptoms of disease, but may not prevent the disease."

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeyp...x-vaccine.html

nomadking 22-05-2022 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36123210)
Not true

"Vaccination after exposure to monkeypox virus is still possible. However, the sooner an exposed person gets the vaccine, the better.

CDC recommends that the vaccine be given within 4 days from the date of exposure in order to prevent onset of the disease. If given between 4–14 days after the date of exposure, vaccination may reduce the symptoms of disease, but may not prevent the disease."

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeyp...x-vaccine.html

The smallpox vaccine is only 85% effective against monkeypox. The immune system will be ramping up anyway. All the vaccine could do is effectively increase the level of perceived(as far as the immune system is concerned) infection. The underlying immune process can't be accelerated.

Jaymoss 22-05-2022 20:22

surely the word only should only be used when the number is small, 85% effective is not bad

Mick 22-05-2022 21:28

How can MonkeyPox spread:

Monkeypox is very difficult to catch from someone carrying the infection and is mostly caught from infected wild animals in west of central Africa.

The illness for most people is mild with full recovery taking up to four weeks, while the chance of catching it in the UK is currently very low.

According to the NHS, you can catch monkeypox if you are bitten by an infected animal or if you touch its blood, body fluids, spots, blisters or scabs.

Catching it from an infected person is very uncommon, but transmission is possible through touching clothing, bedding, towels or other items used by someone with the rash.

Contact with their blisters or scabs or exposure to their coughs or sneezes could also put you at risk.

What are the symptoms to look out for?

It normally takes between five and 21 days for symptoms to appear.

The initial symptoms include a high temperature, headache, muscle aches, backache, swollen glands, shivering and exhaustion.

A rash will usually appear between one and five days after the first symptoms, beginning on the face and then spreading to other parts of the body.

It can be confused with chickenpox as it begins with raised spots.

The symptoms will usually disappear in two to four weeks, although some people will need hospital treatment.

https://news.sky.com/story/monkeypox...pread-12614394

nffc 22-05-2022 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36123202)
It is seriously unlikely to kill you or put a strain on the NHS so quite a bit different to Covid innit

I know this but that won't stop some will it? We're already seeing suggestions people will be obliged or recommended to self isolate.

We had similar in early 2020, they were telling people with cough/fever to isolate, then they said they were going to shield elderly people and tell them not to go out for 12 weeks, then they started telling people to WFH...

Even then covid didn't really have that much of a fatality rate - especially when you count the number of people who presumably had it without realising, either because they had no symptoms or they were so minimal, the case fatality rate is clearly much lower than quoted, so actually the issues with covid were less than quoted - but still, pretty high at certain times.

It's a known virus, most people have immunity, they just need to slow it a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36123213)
surely the word only should only be used when the number is small, 85% effective is not bad

Well, 85% effective isn't really that high, it does mean that 15% will not have any benefit at all from it, which isn't too bad in small numbers, but in higher ones...

Jaymoss 22-05-2022 21:38

Only 15% hahahahaha

Pierre 22-05-2022 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36123178)

It is. You need close person to person contact to catch it, transmission is usually sexual. Symptoms are mild and most people recover quickly. It has a 3% fatality rate, but that is based on the outcomes in African nations not European ones with better healthcare. Common anti-virals can treat it and if absolutely necessary the Smallpox vaccine is 85% effective against it.

So I am not in the least bit concerned about it.

Maggy 23-05-2022 07:47

It's the 21 days quarantine that may make some decide to risk it.

Mick 23-05-2022 17:13

BREAKING: MonkeyPox cases in the UK rises to 56 according to UK Health Security Agency announces.

Hom3r 23-05-2022 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36123220)
It's the 21 days quarantine that may make some decide to risk it.

Sadly I know people that won't care, armed police outside their home wouldn't stop them,

Mick 24-05-2022 18:44

BREAKING: MonkeyPox cases in UK rises to 71 according to UKHSA.

Mad Max 24-05-2022 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36123293)
Sadly I know people that won't care, armed police outside their home wouldn't stop them,

I couldn't give a shit about their poxy monkeypox, :D we'll soon be getting locked up for hayfever outbreaks!

Mick 26-05-2022 18:07

NEW: MonkeyPox cases in UK rises to 90 according to UKHSA.

nomadking 26-05-2022 18:21

Quote:

Dr Susan Hopkins, chief medical adviser for UKHSA, has warned that monkeypox is spreading through community transmission.
Cases are predominantly being identified in individuals who self-identify as gay or bisexual or men who have sex with other men, she said.
Too many cases for it to be mainly down to contact with animals.

Pierre 26-05-2022 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36123749)
Too many cases for it to be mainly down to contact with animals.

It’s not and no one has ever claimed that.

It seems to have come from Africa and spread at a couple of raves in Europe, mainly amongst gay men.

nomadking 27-05-2022 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36123801)
It’s not and no one has ever claimed that.

It seems to have come from Africa and spread at a couple of raves in Europe, mainly amongst gay men.

So Mick didn't post this in post#15?
Quote:

Monkeypox is very difficult to catch from someone carrying the infection and is mostly caught from infected wild animals in west of central Africa.
The illness for most people is mild with full recovery taking up to four weeks, while the chance of catching it in the UK is currently very low.
According to the NHS, you can catch monkeypox if you are bitten by an infected animal or if you touch its blood, body fluids, spots, blisters or scabs.
Catching it from an infected person is very uncommon, but transmission is possible through touching clothing, bedding, towels or other items used by someone with the rash.
If catching from someone is difficult, just think what the number of current cases would be, if it wasn't difficult to catch. If eg only 1 in 100 people pass it on(I don't know the real figure, perhaps nobody does), and 90 cases are in the UK, then that would suggest around 9,000 cases already out there. If instead, the 90 all knew each other, it should take a large number of "interactions" for that number of people to become infected from one another.
Perhaps there is a previously unidentified method of transmission that isn't very difficult.

pip08456 27-05-2022 02:02

Scaremongering again by the media, OK cases are rising but associated to a sub-groupe alledgedly. I will not judge anyone in that respect.
It's also (at least partially alledged) that those of us who had the smallpox vaccination will have some protecion.

Chris 27-05-2022 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36123810)
So Mick didn't post this in post#15?
If catching from someone is difficult, just think what the number of current cases would be, if it wasn't difficult to catch. If eg only 1 in 100 people pass it on(I don't know the real figure, perhaps nobody does), and 90 cases are in the UK, then that would suggest around 9,000 cases already out there. If instead, the 90 all knew each other, it should take a large number of "interactions" for that number of people to become infected from one another.
Perhaps there is a previously unidentified method of transmission that isn't very difficult.

As per, you get the wrong end of the stick and proceed to beat yourself soundly with it.

Nuance is always important, but sadly it’s what you most often seem to miss. A couple of things I’ve noted as I’ve read through this thread:

1. 85% effectiveness is extremely good for any vaccine. You have no room to argue here, least of all on the basis that the number just doesn’t look good enough to you. I would have hoped we would all have learned at least this much over the past 2 years.

2. Again, with regards to nuance: Mick and Pierre are not contradicting one another, they are expressing different aspects of the problem. Monkey pox does not readily transmit from human to human and when a case is identified, good diagnostic practice would be to check for contact with infected animals first. Where it does transmit from human to human, close contact is required, and even then it doesn’t transmit easily.

3. This leads to the shibboleth surrounding this issue. Given the stigma around AIDS in the 1980s I can understand why our public health officials have been reluctant to say this aloud, but for monkeypox to transmit most readily from human to human it requires intimate contact. For it to transmit readily through a significant number of people, that is likely to be promiscuous sexual contact. Gay raves in Europe is an entirely plausible theory, though again I understand why officials are unlikely ever to say this aloud and will instead focus on highly targeted messaging to bring the outbreak under control.

mrmistoffelees 27-05-2022 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36123827)
As per, you get the wrong end of the stick and proceed to beat yourself soundly with it.

Nuance is always important, but sadly it’s what you most often seem to miss. A couple of things I’ve noted as I’ve read through this thread:

1. 85% effectiveness is extremely good for any vaccine. You have no room to argue here, least of all on the basis that the number just doesn’t look good enough to you. I would have hoped we would all have learned at least this much over the past 2 years.

2. Again, with regards to nuance: Mick and Pierre are not contradicting one another, they are expressing different aspects of the problem. Monkey pox does not readily transmit from human to human and when a case is identified, good diagnostic practice would be to check for contact with infected animals first. Where it does transmit from human to human, close contact is required, and even then it doesn’t transmit easily.

3. This leads to the shibboleth surrounding this issue. Given the stigma around AIDS in the 1980s I can understand why our public health officials have been reluctant to say this aloud, but for monkeypox to transmit most readily from human to human it requires intimate contact. For it to transmit readily through a significant number of people, that is likely to be promiscuous sexual contact. Gay raves in Europe is an entirely plausible theory, though again I understand why officials are unlikely ever to say this aloud and will instead focus on highly targeted messaging to bring the outbreak under control.

I'm not sure on point 3 based on reading this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45665821

specifically

'Are gay men at greater risk?
Although some of the cases have been seen in gay and bisexual men, anyone who comes into close contact with someone who has monkeypox could potentially get the virus.

The UK Health Security Agency has said "a notable proportion" of the recent cases in the UK and Europe have been found in gay and bisexual men "so we are particularly encouraging them to be alert to the symptoms and seek help if concerned".'

in terms of transmission

'Monkeypox can be spread when someone is in close contact with an infected person. The virus can enter the body through broken skin, the respiratory tract or through the eyes, nose or mouth.

It has not previously been described as a sexually transmitted infection, but it can be passed on by direct contact during sex.

It can also be spread by contact with infected animals such as monkeys, rats and squirrels, or by virus-contaminated objects, such as bedding and clothing.'

Chris 27-05-2022 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36123828)
I'm not sure on point 3 based on reading this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45665821

specifically

'Are gay men at greater risk?
Although some of the cases have been seen in gay and bisexual men, anyone who comes into close contact with someone who has monkeypox could potentially get the virus.

The UK Health Security Agency has said "a notable proportion" of the recent cases in the UK and Europe have been found in gay and bisexual men "so we are particularly encouraging them to be alert to the symptoms and seek help if concerned".'

in terms of transmission

'Monkeypox can be spread when someone is in close contact with an infected person. The virus can enter the body through broken skin, the respiratory tract or through the eyes, nose or mouth.

It has not previously been described as a sexually transmitted infection, but it can be passed on by direct contact during sex.

It can also be spread by contact with infected animals such as monkeys, rats and squirrels, or by virus-contaminated objects, such as bedding and clothing.'

All of which is true, but I’m thinking more of what has actually happened in this case, not what can happen in general. Gay men aren’t at greater risk generally, but if an infection occurred within a section of the community that was particularly promiscuous, at a time when promiscuity was likely to be higher (such as a large drug-fuelled rave more likely to be attended by young, sexually active gay men, as has been suggested to be the case here) then that’s the community where the infection is going to get a foothold in this instance.

Mick 27-05-2022 17:28

NEW: UKHSA announces MonkeyPox cases have risen to 106 in the UK.

Mick 30-05-2022 22:06

BREAKING: MonkeyPox cases rises to 179 according to UKHSA.

Paul 14-06-2022 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36124111)
BREAKING: MonkeyPox cases rises to 179 according to UKHSA.

452 confirmed cases in England now.

In the meantime, the latest prize for stupidity goes to the World Health Organization, who are looking at renaming it.

Quote:

The World Health Organization says it is working with experts to come up with a new name for monkeypox.
Quote:

It comes after more than 30 scientists wrote last week about the "urgent need for a non-discriminatory and non-stigmatising" name for the virus and the disease it causes.
So instead of working with experts to find the issue, they just want to rename it. :dozey: Well i suppose that will reduce the Monkeypox count to 0.

I expect Chickenpox is next on the list of these idiots. :rolleyes:

tweetiepooh 15-06-2022 09:20

There is a major problem with animal names, Chicken = coward, Monkey = mischievous and you don't want to stigmatise people by associating a label like that to them.

The difficulty is that different nations view animals differently. You need to find an animal that can't be negative when attached to humans but doesn't denigrate any animal that is held in high regard either.

nomadking 15-06-2022 09:48

Link

Quote:

One new name for it that's been suggested by scientists is hMPXV, but we'll need to wait to hear what the WHO thinks of that.
That just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?:rolleyes: Strange that they are only now considering changing the name.
For something that is meant to be difficult to transmit human to human,
there seems to be a lot of cases.

Taf 15-06-2022 10:11

Quote:

30 scientists suggest renaming monkeypox to MPXV and following this classification with a number indicating the clade, or version, in order of detection.

This would mean MPXV1 would be the new term for the the Central African monkeypox, MPXV2 for the West African variant and MPXV3 for the one currently spreading internationally and in the UK.

The scientists also argue further that the sustained human-to-human transmission of MPXV3 needs a further distinction and should be called hMPXV.

With previous human-to-human outbreaks detected in 2017 and 2019 in the UK, Israel, Nigeria, USA, and Singapore, this would mean the name of the virus/disease causing the current international monkeypox outbreak would be hMPXVB.1
I think most people will continue to call it monkeypox.

Paul 15-06-2022 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36125359)
There is a major problem with animal names,

No there isnt, the only problem is the lunitics inventing issues that dont exist (again). :dozey:

No one has ever thought someone getting chickenpox is 'cowardly', or someone getting monkeypox is 'mischievous'. :rolleyes:

Paul 23-07-2022 20:47

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62279436

Quote:

The monkeypox outbreak has been declared a global health emergency by the World Health Organization.
Quote:

There are only two other such health emergencies at present - the coronavirus pandemic and the continuing effort to eradicate polio.
More than 16,000 cases have now been reported from 75 countries, with five deaths.

RichardCoulter 24-07-2022 04:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36125359)
There is a major problem with animal names, Chicken = coward, Monkey = mischievous and you don't want to stigmatise people by associating a label like that to them.

The difficulty is that different nations view animals differently. You need to find an animal that can't be negative when attached to humans but doesn't denigrate any animal that is held in high regard either.

There could also be racial connotations with the name Monkeypox, particularly in light of where it is said to have originated from.

Racists often like to compare black people with primates.

Just seen a news report. A guy who recovered from it said that it was extremely painful, so much so that he gave the doctors treating him carte blanche to take any action that they thought would help.

---------- Post added at 04:59 ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 ----------

Forgot to say that it was also said that it isn't just the typical symptoms that are present when it manifests itself, it can also present itself in the same way as a sexually transmitted disease and has fooled some doctors into erroneously thinking that this was what it was.

Paul 24-07-2022 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36129286)
There could also be racial connotations with the name Monkeypox, particularly in light of where it is said to have originated from.

Oh FFS, give it a rest.

Everything in the world is not racist (except to those trying very hard to find it where none exists).

Oh, and its name "originated" from Denmark.

Quote:

Monkeypox was first identified as a distinct illness in 1958 among laboratory monkeys in Copenhagen, Denmark

RichardCoulter 24-07-2022 18:25

This particular outbreak is said to have started in Central & West Africa.

I suspect that this will be a major reason why they want to change the name. Didn't they do something similar with one particular strain of the coronavirus?

Pierre 24-07-2022 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36129338)
This particular outbreak is said to have started in Central & West Africa.

I suspect that this will be a major reason why they want to change the name. Didn't they do something similar with one particular strain of the coronavirus?

They did, it was the Irish strain, they called it the potato virus. That was deemed racist so they gave it the correct scientific name of “spudulika.paddi.1b”

Mad Max 25-07-2022 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36129363)
They did, it was the Irish strain, they called it the potato virus. That was deemed racist so they gave it the correct scientific name of “spudulika.paddi.1b”

:rofl::rofl:

Qtx 26-07-2022 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36123841)
but if an infection occurred within a section of the community that was particularly promiscuous, at a time when promiscuity was likely to be higher (such as a large drug-fuelled rave more likely to be attended by young, sexually active gay men, as has been suggested to be the case here)

When did drug fuelled raves start to become places for everyone to have sex with each other?

While chemsex may be a thing and the monkeypox spread amongst this particular group fast (like it did with aids incidentally), drugs and the rave side of things are not really a factor in anything. No more than alcohol helping drunk people get laid.

nomadking 26-07-2022 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 36129566)
When did drug fuelled raves start to become places for everyone to have sex with each other?

While chemsex may be a thing and the monkeypox spread amongst this particular group fast (like it did with aids incidentally), drugs and the rave side of things are not really a factor in anything. No more than alcohol helping drunk people get laid.

With AIDS, iirc it was the "bathhouses" in San Francisco that were a factor. With monkeypox the outbreak in Spain has been traced back to an adult sauna.
UK government advice.
Quote:

Advice for general cleaning in sex-on-premises venues
Monkeypox can spread through close physical contact, such as kissing, skin-to-skin and sex. It is also possible that sharing items such as bedding and towels can pass the infection from one person to another.
The people who were getting HIV/AIDs tended to be the same one that were routinely also getting the likes of Syphilis and Gonorrhoea.
Link
Quote:

It has not previously been described as a sexually transmitted infection, but it can be passed on by close contact.
Guidance is advising anyone with the virus to abstain from sex while they have symptoms.
While there is currently no available evidence that monkeypox can be spread in sexual fluids, people confirmed to have the virus are advised to use condoms for eight weeks after infection as a precaution.
Zero chance of that happening.
Before PrEP.
Quote:

A third of gay men who know they are HIV positive are still having unprotected sex, a study suggests.
The Medical Research Council, which questioned 3,500 gay men, also found 40% of the 300 who tested positive for HIV did not know they were infected.

BenMcr 27-07-2022 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36129568)
Zero chance of that happening.
Before PrEP.

Just to point out those stats are way out of date and also not reflective of HIV transmission or treatment levels in the UK.

https://www.nat.org.uk/about-hiv/hiv-statistics

Quote:

In 2019, it was estimated that there are 105,200 people living with HIV in the UK.
94% of these people are diagnosed, and therefore know that they have HIV. This means that around 1 in 16 people living with HIV in the UK do not know that they have the virus.
98% of people diagnosed with HIV in the UK are on treatment, and 97% of those on treatment are virally suppressed which means they can’t pass the virus on. Of all the people living with HIV in the UK, 89% are virally suppressed.
Quote:

The proportion of people accessing HIV care in 2019 who acquired HIV transmission through heterosexual sex (45,445 - 46.1%) is very similar to the proportion of people who acquired HIV through sex between men (45,771 - 46.4%).
However to manage to get the testing and treatment levels to the same for other diseases like Monkeypox takes money and available treatment options. As yet it's extremely difficult to get pre-infection treatment for Monkeypox in the UK and many other countries.

nomadking 27-07-2022 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36129629)
Just to point out those stats are way out of date and also not reflective of HIV transmission or treatment levels in the UK.

https://www.nat.org.uk/about-hiv/hiv-statistics

However to manage to get the testing and treatment levels to the same for other diseases like Monkeypox takes money and available treatment options. As yet it's extremely difficult to get pre-infection treatment for Monkeypox in the UK and many other countries.

They are indicative of behaviour without PrEP or any sort of treatment. Just as cures for Syphilis and Gonorrhoea helped promote the spread of HIV/AIDS.

The current medical advice is to refrain, the study shows that won't happen.

Mick 29-07-2022 21:21

BREAKING: Spain reporting on first MonkeyPox related death in Europe:

https://news.sky.com/story/spain-con...break-12661601