Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709417)

jonbxx 08-12-2020 16:58

Re: Coronavirus

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36061382)
Meanwhile, the Oxford vaccine is found to be “safe and effective” in peer review.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55228422

Further tests are ongoing to increase confidence in the data that suggests a half dose followed by a full dose results in 90% efficacy. They’re concerned that the small sample of people given the half dose were all under 55 years old and might have been expected to show a stronger immune response regardless.

Nonetheless the vaccine has already been put forward for emergency approval.

Just a guess but I would imagine different population groups might get different vaccines and possibly even different dose regimens. If the 'one and a half' regimen works well for under 55s with no evidence to date to show effectiveness for over 55s, that's workable as a 'Tesco Value' vaccine for the general population for under 55s.

Chris 08-12-2020 17:05

Yup, it makes sense to use the cheap one on most people if it works well amongst them, especially if it also prevents transmission, because that has a knock on benefit to everyone else as well.

Plus it’s only £3 a jab. It’s an absolute gift to the large parts of the world where a high tech, £15-£25-a-go vaccine complete with massive cryogenic storage requirements simply won’t fly.

1andrew1 08-12-2020 17:19

Quote:

Trump to sign order aimed at prioritizing Covid-19 vaccine shipment to Americans

President Donald Trump is expected to sign an executive order on Tuesday aimed at prioritizing the shipment of the coronavirus vaccine to Americans before other nations, according to senior administration officials.

The signing is slated to take place during a vaccine summit at the White House, with the hope that the order will allay fears that there will not be enough doses of the vaccine to go around after distribution begins.

White House officials described the order as a "reaffirmation of the President's commitment to America first." But on a call with reporters Monday evening, in which administration officials asked not to be identified publicly, the White House did not provide specifics on how the order will do that.

The order comes after The New York Times reported Monday that Pfizer had offered to sell the US government additional doses in late summer, but the newspaper said the administration had turned it down. The decision to not purchase more doses mounted administration concerns that Pfizer would be unable to fulfill any additional US order until June because of the company's commitments to other countries.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/07/p...der/index.html

Damien 08-12-2020 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36061386)
Plus it’s only £3 a jab. It’s an absolute gift to the large parts of the world where a high tech, £15-£25-a-go vaccine complete with massive cryogenic storage requirements simply won’t fly.

The Americans won't stop their push against this vaccine though. $3 vs $25 for American companies, this'll get ugly.

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36061392)

Not sure what that does. Whatever orders are placed are going to those who ordered them.

Chris 08-12-2020 17:40

The Yanks don’t need a vaccine, they’ve got Kenneth Copeland.

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

(With added Andre Antunes, obvs) :D

papa smurf 08-12-2020 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36061398)
The Yanks don’t need a vaccine, they’ve got Kenneth Copeland.

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

(With added Andre Antunes, obvs) :D

Thanks for that Chris, I think I'm cured of everything known to man and a few things that aren't ;)

Chris 08-12-2020 18:40

As a trainee church minister, I do *not* endorse this message. :D

mrmistoffelees 09-12-2020 10:06

People with severe allergic reactions warned not to have the vaccine after two reports of adverse reactions.

Source: independent ( i think, flashed up on my phone)

papa smurf 09-12-2020 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36061458)
People with severe allergic reactions warned not to have the vaccine after two reports of adverse reactions.

:shocked: after all that testing.

denphone 09-12-2020 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36061458)

Here is another source.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/w...s-b229762.html

papa smurf 09-12-2020 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36061462)

Wonder why this wasn't picked up in the rigorous testing?

Damien 09-12-2020 10:45

Presumably, because people who do have a history of allergic relations to vaccines don't go to trials of a new vaccine. Apparently, the licence itself states that it should not be given to anyone who has had a previous allergy to vaccines so unless further problems crop up this won't be a big issue for the vaccine roll out.

1andrew1 09-12-2020 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36061395)
Not sure what that does. Whatever orders are placed are going to those who ordered them.

It's going to be Biden's problem, not Trump's. I assume the US could refuse export licences.

heero_yuy 09-12-2020 11:07

Quote:

Quote from The Sun: People with "significant allergies" have been warned by officials not to take the Covid-19 vaccine.

Two NHS workers who received the landmark Pfizer Covid jab on V Day have suffered allergic reactions needing treatment.

The staff members both had a "significant history of allergic reactions" to the extent where they need to carry an EpiPen or similar device, the NHS confirmed.

They developed symptoms of "anaphylactoid reaction" shortly after receiving the vaccine.

NHS England confirmed both are now recovering and all trusts involved with the vaccination programme have been informed.

Regulators at the MHRA have now warned anyone else with a history of “significant” allergic reactions to medicines, food or vaccines should not receive the jab.
Yesterday they published a list of the potential constituants in the jab that could produce an allergic reaction particularly to eggs.

mrmistoffelees 09-12-2020 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36061469)
Presumably, because people who do have a history of allergic relations to vaccines don't go to trials of a new vaccine. Apparently, the licence itself states that it should not be given to anyone who has had a previous allergy to vaccines so unless further problems crop up this won't be a big issue for the vaccine roll out.

'The UK’s drug regulator says anyone with a history of “significant” allergic reactions to food, medicine or vaccines should not currently receive the jab'

Somewhat different from the licence, no?