Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709417)

Hugh 22-01-2021 22:55

Re: Coronavirus

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36067636)
The flu never came close to overwhelming the NHS?

Not in 2015?

https://www.uhs.nhs.uk/aboutthetrust...dmissions.aspx

Not in 2018?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-Britain.html

Or 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ople-week.html

The NHS is always under constant threat of being Overwhelmed by the flu, every year............except this year, because the flu has decided not to bother this year as it’s big brother Covid is here. 2020/2021 the flu is awol.

Your 2015 links states that up to 50 per day were being admitted to hospital.

Your 2018 link states that 421 patients were admitted to hospital with flu in the week ending 31st December 2017.

2019 link states 237 admissions in a week.

On Monday, 18th January 2021, 4034 patients were admitted that day with COVID.

50 a day (350 per week), 421 in a week, 237 in a week vs 4034 in a day...

Pierre 22-01-2021 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36067645)
Your 2015 links states that up to 50 per day were being admitted to hospital.

Your 2018 link states that 421 patients were admitted to hospital with flu in the week ending 31st December 2017.

2019 link states 237 admissions in a week.

On Monday, 18th January 2021, 4034 patients were admitted that day with COVID.

50 a day (350 per week), 421 in a week, 237 in a week vs 4034 in a day...

The claim was the flu never overwhelmed the NHS. Those links quote NHS leaders claiming the NHS was being or about to be overwhelmed by the flu.

The degree of the overwhelming or capacity of the NHS at the time of the overwhelming can be debated.

In any event the claims of the NHS being overwhelmed by the flu in those links is not a fabrication, I’m just posting the links.

Sephiroth 22-01-2021 23:38

Pierre is right. They hyped up the need for vaccination by also playing the "will be overwhelmed" card.

In the event, 'flu was a big flop and hardly happened by comparison with Covid.

jfman 23-01-2021 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36067646)
The claim was the flu never overwhelmed the NHS. Those links quote NHS leaders claiming the NHS was being or about to be overwhelmed by the flu.

The degree of the overwhelming or capacity of the NHS at the time of the overwhelming can be debated.

In any event the claims of the NHS being overwhelmed by the flu in those links is not a fabrication, I’m just posting the links.

As with anywhere they can reprioritise resource for a period of time. However that impacts on what we would consider 'non-critical' care.

In respect of Covid this would mean reprioritising all non-critical operations and care for months on end. The NHS doesn't have spare staff/capacity just hanging around waiting for a pandemic.

Overwhelmed is unfortunately a subjective phrase, but if we pin it down by any methodology going Covid is worse than flu, for longer than flu.

Angua 23-01-2021 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36067650)
As with anywhere they can reprioritise resource for a period of time. However that impacts on what we would consider 'non-critical' care.

In respect of Covid this would mean reprioritising all non-critical operations and care for months on end. The NHS doesn't have spare staff/capacity just hanging around waiting for a pandemic.

Overwhelmed is unfortunately a subjective phrase, but if we pin it down by any methodology going Covid is worse than flu, for longer than flu.

The pre-Covid Pandemic planning was based on a Flu type virus, which has since been shown as woefully short sighted. This included the massive rush to create the Nightingales as a solution, when they were not suitable for Covid-19 treatments. Let alone having any awareness of NHS staff shortages.

pip08456 23-01-2021 11:54

More info on the 30% more fatal claim.

Quote:

“The 30 per cent more lethal claim about the virus rests on a very fragile and uncertain base of evidence. NERVTAG has expressed limited confidence in this figure, which should not be the basis for public alarm.”
Look who briefed Peston before official disclosure.

Quote:

He was briefed about the story by the infectious disease modeller Neil Ferguson, who told Peston: “It is a realistic possibility that the new UK variant increases the risk of death… So for 60-year-olds, 13 in 1000 might die compared with 10 in 1000 for old strains.”

Given the uncertainty of the data, it is unclear why Ferguson, a controversial figure, thought it necessary to brief Peston before the relevant information had been properly disclosed. Critics may say that in a public health crisis, transparency and predictability in government decision-making is absolutely vital both to preserve public trust and to ensure proper accountability.
https://reaction.life/30-per-cent-mo...ervtag-member/

Hom3r 23-01-2021 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36067364)
I think Saga have lost the plot.
You dont get a certificate or a badge when vaccinated.

On top of that, they want you to take a test & full medical screening as well.
I would start looking elsewhere for a cruise, there is being careful, and there is OTT madness, they are taking option 2.

Actually you do of sorts

My dad was given a credit card sized card which had the vaccine type and batch number, and date of injection.

There is a space for writing the second vaccine information

Pierre 23-01-2021 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36067674)
More info on the 30% more fatal claim.

Look who briefed Peston before official disclosure.

https://reaction.life/30-per-cent-mo...ervtag-member/

How you present the figures matters.

3 extra deaths, up from 10 does indeed make 30%

I’m not a maths wizard but a more realistic metric would be 3 more deaths in a thousand that is only an increase of 0.3%.

Using the first method if it 1 person that dies in a million, and new strain killed 2 people per million the headline would be “ new variant 100% more deadly” .

I remain not scared.

Mick 23-01-2021 17:43

They cannot decide if the new variant is more lethal, scientists are now arguing that it is or isn’t.

Mr K 23-01-2021 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36067730)
They cannot decide if the new variant is more lethal, scientists are now arguing that it is or isn’t.

Professor Boris said it is more dangerous, he's the only scientist that matters. He knows his stuff.

papa smurf 24-01-2021 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36067730)

Hancock is pushing it on sky news, he's wangled new variant into every sentence, must be topping 100 times, but has no info on it, Boris should make him minister for whataboutery.

Pierre 24-01-2021 09:13

It’s the weekly Sunday Scare’em routine. The new variant is lurking behind the bushes and is going to jump out and kill you if you leave the house.

Have you heard the radio ads? “If you’re on public transport or in the park, it like the people around you will be infected with coronavirus”........... really.

Keep ‘em scared, keep’em scared.

Hugh 24-01-2021 09:44

Just ignore the 4000+ a day hospital admissions with COVID, and the 1200+ deaths a day - they’re just scare tactics...

Pierre 24-01-2021 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36067787)
Just ignore the 4000+ a day hospital admissions with COVID, and the 1200+ deaths a day - they’re just scare tactics...

Finally you’re getting it. .........

No, of course the numbers are real. Like I’ve said on here many times I don’t believe lockdowns are the answer.

But the government do, and the best way to control a population is to scare them into obedience.

The figures are what they are, but it is still at the end of the day for the vast majority a mild disease

Hugh 24-01-2021 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36067792)
Finally you’re getting it.

Apologies - I forgot the <sarcasm> tags...

I wonder if the 4K+ plus people admitted every day lately realise they’re not really ill, just a propaganda tactic?