Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709417)

Maggy 18-12-2020 07:59

Re: Coronavirus

I don't know why we didn't just cancel Christmas and do what the Sikhs,Hindus,Muslims and other faiths did this year and just fit their particular religious festivals around lockdown.

heero_yuy 18-12-2020 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36062578)
Are you saying you don't think the vaccine actually works? Its reported success is 52% after dose one and 95% after dose two.

Short term immunity. Nobody knows how long that immunity lasts yet. And remember this study was during social distancing, mask wearing, limited mixing etc. Once things go back to normal who knows?

You can always debate it with yourself when you grow an extra head. :D

Sephiroth 18-12-2020 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36062625)
I don't know why we didn't just cancel Christmas and do what the Sikhs,Hindus,Muslims and other faiths did this year and just fit their particular religious festivals around lockdown.

Er, no.

papa smurf 18-12-2020 08:41

Cancel Christmas:shocked:
Mary cross your legs -do not let that baby out :nono:

Sephiroth 18-12-2020 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36062626)
Short term immunity. Nobody knows how long that immunity lasts yet. And remember this study was during social distancing, mask wearing, limited mixing etc. Once things go back to normal who knows?

You can always debate it with yourself when you grow an extra head. :D

I rarely disagree with Heero, but that last remark is gratuitous and extreme.

The vaccine is a start and the scientists will be measuring the CV incidence as roll-out progresses. In turn, that will define the vaccination strategy going forward until CV is eradicated (and perhaps the next one comes along).

Subject to confirmatory outcomes, it looks like vaccine developmental science has taken a leap forward.

On another matter - repaying our CV loans, I wonder whether the Guvmin are ring-fencing the £25 billion or so we no longer send to the EU annually.

Pierre 18-12-2020 09:10

Quote:

Because we're not all miserable barstewards.

Carth 18-12-2020 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36062626)
Short term immunity. Nobody knows how long that immunity lasts yet.

That's news to me, I thought the vaccine just made the symptoms less severe if you caught it?

Happy to be put right, I'm fast losing touch with what's real, imagined, or down right ridiculous :rolleyes:

Hugh 18-12-2020 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36062630)
[/COLOR]

I rarely disagree with Heero, but that last remark is gratuitous and extreme.

The vaccine is a start and the scientists will be measuring the CV incidence as roll-out progresses. In turn, that will define the vaccination strategy going forward until CV is eradicated (and perhaps the next one comes along).

Subject to confirmatory outcomes, it looks like vaccine developmental science has taken a leap forward.

On another matter - repaying our CV loans, I wonder whether the Guvmin are ring-fencing the £25 billion or so we no longer send to the EU annually.

I know I’m indulging in the flagellation of an equine corpse, but such egregious fabrications need to be highlighted...

The U.K. Government’s own figures

Quote:

In 2019 the UK made an estimated gross contribution (after the rebate) of £14.4 billion. The UK received £5.0 billion of public sector receipts from the EU, so the UK’s net public sector contribution to the EU was an estimated £9.4 billion.
https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-m...ee-55-million/

There’s £25 billion outstanding to be paid by 2057, but that’s not annually..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51110096

Hom3r 18-12-2020 11:20

Quote:

I don't know why we didn't just cancel Christmas and do what the Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims and other faiths did this year and just fit their particular religious festivals around lockdown.

My Christmas was cancelled this year on 30th of September at 3:14am when my mother died.

Just my dad and I this year, and I've never cooked a Turkey on my own.

1andrew1 18-12-2020 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36062630)

..but that last remark is gratuitous and extreme.

Thanks, I just found it bizarre!

Maggy 18-12-2020 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36062631)
Because we're not all miserable barstewards.

Neither were those groups BUT they went with the lockdown rules..Seems in an era of diversity we could have done the same.

Sephiroth 18-12-2020 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36062646)
Neither were those groups BUT they went with the lockdown rules..Seems in an era of diversity we could have done the same.

Why? Is every vestige of long standing British custom & culture to be sacrificed to the woke agenda?

1andrew1 18-12-2020 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36062647)
Why? Is every vestige of long standing British custom & culture to be sacrificed to the woke agenda?

Diversity to me is not woke it's capitalism. It's people's different perspectives gleaned from different experiences all competing to provide the best solutions. As oppose to the more top-down Communistic one-size-fits-all mantra.

Sephiroth 18-12-2020 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36062649)
Diversity to me is not woke it's capitalism. It's people's different perspectives gleaned from different experiences all competing to provide the best solutions. As oppose to the more top-down Communistic one-size-fits-all mantra.

This is a debate all on its own. In the context of this thread, a don't see diversity as applicable to the question of celebrating Christmas in the (nearly) usual way.

And yes, diversity feeds directly into the woke agenda.

Pierre 18-12-2020 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36062646)
Neither were those groups

I wasn’t referring to those groups.