Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709417)

Pierre 16-12-2020 09:34

Re: Coronavirus

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36062387)
Why are we so obsessed about poxy Christmas? Best to give it a miss and see our relatives next year, alive.

It might not mean much to you sat at home with your worthers originals, but Christmas is a big thing in the Pierre house hold and we'll be celebrating it as normal with in-laws, regardless.

We have cancelled the extended family and friends day we usually have. But other-wise we'll be having close family and friends as normal.

Everyone's agreed to isolate for a few days before.

We are certainly not cancelling christmas.

denphone 16-12-2020 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 36062398)
Agreed! If I was in charge (luckily for all you of that I'm not) I would float the idea of an extra bank holiday tagged on to Easter, May or Whitsun bank holidays saying 'here's the deal, keep your heads down now while things are rough and we can have Christmas 2.0 later when thing get better'

+1

downquark1 16-12-2020 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36062395)
:tu:

This is complete nonsense and psychological warfare. People are starting to sound like a friend who suffers from OCD and becomes unable to leave the house for fear of robbers.

The rules are already incredibly harsh for the risk present.

mrmistoffelees 16-12-2020 10:29

As Boris said some weeks ago, If he didn't create the Christmas Bubble rules people would simply ignore him.

People have made decisions with a financial implication based on what the government have said, That could be travel costs, food orders etc.

More and more of the population aren't willing to listen to the government guidance, rules, laws whatever you want to call them. Anymore.

daveeb 16-12-2020 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36062400)
+1

+2. Patience and common sense is a virtue unfortunately not shared by all.

mrmistoffelees 16-12-2020 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36062408)

Exasperation is shared by more and more it would appear..

NB: I'm not saying I agree with those that choose to break the rules, merely playing devils advocate.

papa smurf 16-12-2020 11:02

Quote:

virtue signaling
the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

Still happening here Turkey dinner for 14 and enough booze to last 5 days:)

denphone 16-12-2020 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36062410)
virtue signaling
the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

Virtue signalling my ass as its a case of putting clear common sense before deliberate ignorance.

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

Quote:

If it affects one or more of their family or relatives they might be thinking rather differently then..

Hugh 16-12-2020 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36062410)
virtue signaling

Has to be better than selfish signalling - since when did not wanting to infect others with a potentially deadly disease become something to be mocked?

Pierre 16-12-2020 11:35

The levels of hysteria on CF (and if it is any reflection, the wider population) at the moment are beyond laughable and bordering on psychosis.

Seeing a few friends and family over Christmas will not harm anyone and will probably do everybody good.

Take precautions act sensibly. Enjoy yourself, Don't worry.

Hom3r 16-12-2020 11:58

My dad and I were going to go to my sisters as usual, but to protect my dad she cancelled, so I have to cook a Christmas dinner by myself (I used to help my mum).

She didn't want to cancel, but she doesn't want to lose him as well as our mum.

I said on a FB group, I hope Boris does cancel as it will make her feel less guilt,

Boy did I get abuse from some Covidiots.

I popped in to my local supermarket to get a loaf and other bits, and the number of people not wearing them out numbered those wearing them.

I cut this to 2 things and left pronto.

Sadly this minority is annoying as if you challenge them (online), you are called a sheep and bully.

Mr K 16-12-2020 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36062417)
The levels of hysteria on CF (and if it is any reflection, the wider population) at the moment are beyond laughable and bordering on psychosis.

Seeing a few friends and family over Christmas will not harm anyone and will probably do everybody good.

Depends if they are elderly or vulnerable friends really doesn't it ? Nothing wrong with a phone call, or waving through a window.

Hopefully in a few months the most vulnerable will have been vaccinated. Its just stupid to take an unnecessary risk before then.

Pierre 16-12-2020 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36062419)
Depends if they are elderly or vulnerable friends

and if they are elderly/ vulnerable/ at risk... then they should rightly shield and their family look after them best they can whilst they shield.

For the vast majority of people, they should take sensible precautions spend time with the friends and family they are allowed to, be sensible, have fun and enjoy your Christmas.

Maggy 16-12-2020 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36062415)
Has to be better than selfish signalling - since when did not wanting to infect others with a potentially deadly disease become something to be mocked?

:tu:

nomadking 16-12-2020 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36062417)

The setting of "seeing a few friends and family" is the exact scenario where taking precautions and acting sensibly are at their lowest level.

Close interactions in an enclosed space is not good. Is everybody going to be socially distanced and wearing masks in that situation?:rolleyes: